My Blue Tarp Is Coming Down!

Discuss the recovery and aftermath of landfalling hurricanes. Please be sensitive to those that have been directly impacted. Political threads will be deleted without notice. This is the place to come together not divide.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

SeaBrz_FL
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

My Blue Tarp Is Coming Down!

#1 Postby SeaBrz_FL » Sat Jun 10, 2006 8:07 pm

Yahoooooo!!! As I enter this, the blue tarp that's covered my roof for the past week is coming down NOW and, I'm assured that all necessary repairs will be complete tonight!

Snapped an hour ago -- stormy sky and winds are already gusting @ 25 mph:

For those interested, here's the story: Although I suffered a very small roof leak (no damage) during Charley in 2004, a clogged drain was found to be the culprit, and once cleared, I had no leaks from Frances, Jeanne, etc.

I could have probably gone a couple more years without a new roof, but decided to be proactive, and get a new one this past January (2006).

After one of the driest springs in history, we had our first big storm last Sunday (June 3) and my NEW roof failed miserably in the two inches of rain. I won't go into the details of the cause (simple human mistake, not intended shoddy workmanship), but I am so ecstatic that my contractors are taking care of this tonight!

I don't expect TD1 (or Alberto) to be much of a threat to us here on the Central East FL coast, but I sure as hell didn't want a flapping blue tarp and a faulty roof facing possible TS-force gusts and heavy rain.

Irony: "Humor is everywhere, in that there's irony in just about anything a human does." -- Bill Nye, 2005

To my friends on the Gulf Coast and the 1,000 people in my own community that are still living in FEMA trailers since 2004, I realize you are still going through true mental hell, and I keep you in my prayers nightly.

To the rest of you, very best to you and your loved ones this (storm) season!

SeaBrz
0 likes   

Cape Verde
Category 2
Category 2

#2 Postby Cape Verde » Sat Jun 10, 2006 8:10 pm

I flew into Miami a couple of weeks ago and was amazed at the number of blue tarps still visible from the plane.

Glad yours is coming down, and I hope you don't need it again this season.
0 likes   

28_Storms
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#3 Postby 28_Storms » Sat Jun 10, 2006 8:12 pm

Miami still has several blue tarp districts!
0 likes   

HardCard
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#4 Postby HardCard » Sat Jun 10, 2006 8:16 pm

for every 1 blue tarp in miami, there are 100 unlivable homes in new orleans... I drove through new orleans east again today... it looks no different than 8 months ago.. no stores.. flooded cars and debris everywhere.. no signs of life... square mile after square mile... hundreds of neighboorhoods unlivable... truely sad....
0 likes   

slosh
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#5 Postby slosh » Sat Jun 10, 2006 8:18 pm

I am glad you got it taken care of before the start of another season. I think it is easy to forget that people in our state are still living in FEMA trailers from 2004. Another active season and it will be nearly impossible to insure a home in FL. Sometimes it easy for us tropical enthusiast to get excited about tropical development and forget about the individuals affected each time we have a landfalling system.
0 likes   

beachbum_al
Category 5
Category 5

#6 Postby beachbum_al » Sat Jun 10, 2006 8:40 pm

Glad to hear that the blue tarp is coming off. I know it will be nice having a new roof. I remember after we got our new roof after Ivan. My nightmares of the next rain coming and messing up more of my stuff ended. 8-)
0 likes   

SeaBrz_FL
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#7 Postby SeaBrz_FL » Sat Jun 10, 2006 8:56 pm

HardCard wrote:for every 1 blue tarp in miami, there are 100 unlivable homes in new orleans... I drove through new orleans east again today... it looks no different than 8 months ago.. no stores.. flooded cars and debris everywhere.. no signs of life... square mile after square mile... hundreds of neighboorhoods unlivable... truely sad....

As a 50-yr-old FL East Coast native, I always think I've seen the hell from the storms, but I know that I've seen nothing compared to what you and the the people on the Gulf Coast saw last year.

A close friend (56-yr-old Fl east coast native) went to the NOLA Jazz Fest a few weeks ago and a local friend drove her around. My friend is still not able to put all the grief she saw into words, and I know our friends in Mississippi are suffering equally or worse.

Can't say anything except for reminding any of you reading this outside the trop storm area: a storm, regardless of it's Category number, is NOTHING compared to the mental anguish that goes on before, during, and for years afterward.

I've always said that 10 times as many gallons of tears are shed than the recorded rain from any big storm.

Big hugs and prayers,
SB
0 likes   

BigO
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm
Location: Marietta, GA: Knows what it means to miss New Orleans...

#8 Postby BigO » Sat Jun 10, 2006 9:06 pm

Thank you, SB. My damage might not have been as bad as many of my colleagues in NOLA, but the repairs have been just as unsurmountable, and the decision to forsake the place I loved is still heartbreaking almost a year later.

My insco actually had the gall to tell me that if my house was still uninhabitable a year after the storm, they might be willing to cancel my policy. They've since relented, but the language I had for them is less than I could publish here or anywhere else in polite company.

The beancounters might think a year is enough time to get renovated, but if you have to deal with 2 revisions to your damage estimate and then finding a contractor who can do the work for remotely what you were awarded for the job, you know a year isn't a very long time.

Don't get me started.
0 likes   

T'Bonz
Category 1
Category 1

#9 Postby T'Bonz » Sun Jun 11, 2006 3:00 am

I feel sorry for all with damage, whether it's blue tarps in Miami, or total loss in Miss or LA.

It sucks.

We laid out a few thou in repairs, but we're safe (for now.) I am very appreciative of that fact.

But my heart goes out to those who still have issues.

And people here are still having roofs cave in and such, now that the rains have begun.

We ALL need a nice, quiet season. Doesn't seem very likely though. :(
0 likes   

bevgo
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#10 Postby bevgo » Sun Jun 11, 2006 12:05 pm

I have still not been able to find a contractor to do the small job of replacing my ridge vent on my roof. At least it is over the garage so I dont have to worry about important stuff. That is for my house in NO I am in an apartment here on the MS gulf coast
0 likes   

SeaBrz_FL
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#11 Postby SeaBrz_FL » Mon Jun 12, 2006 9:13 pm

Big O, T Bonz, and Bevgo --

My heart truly hurts for each of you and I understand, and appreciate your replies.

Unfortunately, my "assured" roof repairs resulted in worse leaking today than the small storm last Sunday. A couple of Alberto's rain bands were all it took to prove another case of bad workmanship.

I have ankle-deep water in my upstairs master bedroom and here's a pic of the "rain" coming through my first floor kitchen light fixtures:

And although I'm Pi$$ed off beyond belief, I still realize that I at least have a couple rooms that are dry and a roof over my head, so I'm trying hard to stay positive and grateful.

Hang in there -- we can survive this season!

sb
0 likes   

CajunMama
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#12 Postby CajunMama » Tue Jun 13, 2006 12:27 am

Oh dear seabrz. You were so excited about not having a blue tarp anymore and then this goes and happens :(
0 likes   

Audrey2Katrina
Category 5
Category 5

#13 Postby Audrey2Katrina » Tue Jun 13, 2006 12:46 am

Man, that's got to be frustrating! Hope it all works out well for you, and thanks for the sentiments about over here in Katrina's Krater.

A "new roof"... unbelievable... *sigh*

A2K
0 likes   
Flossy 56, Audrey 57, Hilda 64*, Betsy 65*, Camille 69*, Edith 71, Carmen 74, Bob 79, Danny, 85, Elena 85, Juan 85, Florence 88, Andrew 92*, Opal 95, Danny 97, Georges 98*, Isidore 02, Lili 02, Ivan 04, Cindy 05*, Dennis 05, Katrina 05*, Gustav 08*, Isaac 12*, Nate 17, Barry 19, Cristobal 20, Marco, 20, Sally, 20, Zeta 20*, Claudette 21 IDA* 21

T'Bonz
Category 1
Category 1

#14 Postby T'Bonz » Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:39 am

I think roofers that do shoddy workmanship should be taken out and shot.

It's bad enough to have damage, but to have people take advantage of it.

We have so many stories down here. And it's just roofs. I can't imagine the horror stories from further north. :/
0 likes   

Audrey2Katrina
Category 5
Category 5

#15 Postby Audrey2Katrina » Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:58 am

Well some action certainly is in order. I mean after you get all excited and finally take down the tarp, then the first time it's tested... this!

That's awful. I hope you can get everything back--and then some!

A2K
0 likes   
Flossy 56, Audrey 57, Hilda 64*, Betsy 65*, Camille 69*, Edith 71, Carmen 74, Bob 79, Danny, 85, Elena 85, Juan 85, Florence 88, Andrew 92*, Opal 95, Danny 97, Georges 98*, Isidore 02, Lili 02, Ivan 04, Cindy 05*, Dennis 05, Katrina 05*, Gustav 08*, Isaac 12*, Nate 17, Barry 19, Cristobal 20, Marco, 20, Sally, 20, Zeta 20*, Claudette 21 IDA* 21

Return to “Hurricane Recovery and Aftermath”