National Chains should allow their stores to be looted...

Discuss the recovery and aftermath of landfalling hurricanes. Please be sensitive to those that have been directly impacted. Political threads will be deleted without notice. This is the place to come together not divide.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

beachbum_al
Category 5
Category 5

#41 Postby beachbum_al » Thu Sep 01, 2005 8:10 am

Looting is wrong no matter how you look at.
0 likes   

ColinDelia
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#42 Postby ColinDelia » Thu Sep 01, 2005 9:34 am

Those are public companies. I am a shareholder in some of them. My income and that of many others depends on the profitability of those companies and the dividends they create.
0 likes   

ncbird
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#43 Postby ncbird » Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:00 am

I have been sickened by the images of looters I have seen. I could understand it they were going in and taking something like food, water, diapers, or even things like a pack of underware, pair of jeans and shirt cause they needed dry clothes. But the images I am seeing are carts full of shoe's, purses, games... these are not people getting things they need out of desperation. This is nothing more than criminal behavior and taking advantage of a disaster. :grrr:
0 likes   

kevin

#44 Postby kevin » Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:23 am

Its not that looting warrents death, it is not about justice. It is about social order. And the only thing worse than facing mother nature is facing a human being. I will take my chances with mother nature any day against a determined and crazed person. People are capable of anything when they are let loose.
0 likes   

wolfmmiii
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#45 Postby wolfmmiii » Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:28 am

PurdueWx80 wrote:
canegrl04 wrote:Most of those doing th looting are undoubtedly gang members. They are also stealing big screen tv sets,jewlry,and guns .

Rrrrright - that's about the most racist thing I've heard all day. I generally agree with Kevin's idea - these multibillion dollar corporations have very little to lose here compared to the scores of poor who were stranded in the city. I'm not commending anyone for stealing luxury items (that these people could likely never afford), but desperate times sometimes lead to desperate measures.

Ummm, where was race mentioned? Oh, I forgot, everything eventually decends to race. I get tired of the race card all the time. This OP made NO MENTION of ANY RACE.
0 likes   

lurkey
Category 5
Category 5

#46 Postby lurkey » Thu Sep 01, 2005 11:51 am

On another note, has anyone else noticed how hard is to give your money away??

The Red Cross and Salvation Army Web sites took me forever to make a donation.

There are are too many people on the sites trying to donate and it is causing a slowdown on the sites.

Another way to donate to the Red Cross go to Amazon.com. Amazon has set up a way to donate to the Red Cross for Hurricane Katrina Relief through their site.

The link is http://www.amazon.com/gp/philanthropy/r ... 28-9288149
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Recovery and Aftermath”