Conditions are deteriorating in shelter cities - Louisiana

Discuss the recovery and aftermath of landfalling hurricanes. Please be sensitive to those that have been directly impacted. Political threads will be deleted without notice. This is the place to come together not divide.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Mattie
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Conditions are deteriorating in shelter cities - Louisiana

#1 Postby Mattie » Thu Sep 01, 2005 11:41 am

Denham Springs, Louisiana - Baton Rouge area -

Credible information says that the downtown area has been under lockdown in Baton Rouge due to rioting at the Centroplex - an evacuee center. All employees in State and Federal buildings are also under lockdown and are unable to leave.

Walmarts are down to the bare shelves in Denham Springs - no toilet paper, no paper towels, no water, among other necessities. No restock available. (Needless to say - no liquor or cigarettes - a friend of mine found filtered camels the only brand left)

The catastrophe continues. The looting/rioting/unrest will probably continue even though local officials believe they have the situation under control. I am thinking if I know this is going on first hand in the Baton Rouge area, then similar incidences if not already, will be widespread in other gracious cities that have opened up their facilities for the evacuees. The list of items confiscated from the evacuees entering the Centroplex is unbelievable! How did these people get out of New Orleans with this!!

My nerves are shot (my entire family - all of my lifelong friends are there) and I am basically just sick. Winds/rains/destroyed buildings are expected from the hurricane damage - but this is totally beyond all of my comprehension!

A lady pumping gas yesterday on College Drive in Baton Rouge swiped her credit card and turned to grab the pump and three big men took the pump from her - ran it around the other side - filled their car with gas and took off.

The stories are endless. I am truly sick.
0 likes   

blueeyes_austin
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#2 Postby blueeyes_austin » Thu Sep 01, 2005 11:43 am

I predict the whole state will need to be put under true martial law before this is over.

Texas and Houston I think will be able to deal with it. Not so LA.
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Recovery and Aftermath”