West Houston - How You Can Help

Discuss the recovery and aftermath of landfalling hurricanes. Please be sensitive to those that have been directly impacted. Political threads will be deleted without notice. This is the place to come together not divide.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

JenBayles
Category 5
Category 5

West Houston - How You Can Help

#1 Postby JenBayles » Thu Sep 01, 2005 9:26 am

Just received this on company email and verified from a coworker who is a volunteer paramedic:

Yesterday afternoon the West I-10 Fire Department and West Harris County EMS in Katy received a call for help and welcomed 36 visitors to Fire Station #1 at Mason Road and Kingsland Blvd. This is initially an overflow from the Westlake Fire Department on Fry Road and Saums, which I am sure you have read about in local papers and seen on local TV stations. They have already welcomed over 80+ victims into their volunteer station.

They anticipate the flow to continue and expect more individuals to come their way in the very near future. They have already been helped by multiple local business with basic supplies to attempt to make these visitors to the Fire Department as comfortable as possible. Donations to this point have included linens, food, basic necessities, monetary donations, time volunteering, and warm words of welcome and encouragement. We would like to maintain this temporary shelter as long as we can, but we can not do this without assistance.

With this in mind, we would like to offer to any and all residents of the Katy area that the West I-10 Fire Department and West Harris County EMS are welcome to donations or help that people would like to provide. There will be from 3-5 volunteers from both organizations at these stations 24 hours a day until our assistance is no longer needed.

Our own employee Robert Olsen is a team member of the West I-10 Fire department and actively participating in assisting these victims and has volunteered to be added as a contact/drop-off point for supplies for people who may have difficulty getting to the drop-off points.

WEBSITES for Harris County EMS and Fire Department

http://www.westi-10fd.org
http://www.whcems.org
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Recovery and Aftermath”