What in the h*(& are people thinking....

Discuss the recovery and aftermath of landfalling hurricanes. Please be sensitive to those that have been directly impacted. Political threads will be deleted without notice. This is the place to come together not divide.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

scorpdream
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

What in the h*(& are people thinking....

#1 Postby scorpdream » Wed Aug 31, 2005 10:36 pm

What is wrong with these people? What has happened to human decency? Why can't people treat others like they want to tbe treated. I just heard on our local news that a man has shot and killed his OWN sister in Hattisburg, MS over a d&%m bag of ice!

Tempers are flaring, road rage, theft...this is just totally nuts!
0 likes   

Hurricaneman
Category 5
Category 5

Re: What in the h*(& are people thinking....

#2 Postby Hurricaneman » Wed Aug 31, 2005 10:40 pm

scorpdream wrote:What is wrong with these people? What has happened to human decency? Why can't people treat others like they want to tbe treated. I just heard on our local news that a man has shot and killed his OWN sister in Hattisburg, MS over a d&%m bag of ice!

Tempers are flaring, road rage, theft...this is just totally nuts!

When disasters happen, people become their own worst enemy
0 likes   

LSU2001
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3 Postby LSU2001 » Wed Aug 31, 2005 10:43 pm

This is what social scientists have said for years. If you take away the trappings of civilization the rule of the strongest is what will occur. If you can take what you need you live if you can't you find some other way (barter etc) or you do not live.
Civilization serves to hide man from his baser nature.
TIm
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

kevin

#4 Postby kevin » Wed Aug 31, 2005 10:44 pm

Well said Tim.
0 likes   

soonertwister
Category 5
Category 5

#5 Postby soonertwister » Wed Aug 31, 2005 10:48 pm

The examples of not-so-decent (but distinctively human) behavior in the midst of great disasters has been extensively documented and researched, and some of the examples are so bizarre and extreme, you have a hard time believing them even when the analyses are from scholarly publications.

I'm not kidding about that. The aftermath of one particular airliner crash in the Florida Everglades is one of the most bizarre things I've ever read about in my life.
0 likes   

crazycajuncane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#6 Postby crazycajuncane » Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:53 pm

How will these people act when civilization returns to normal for them? What happens when they are shipped to Houston? They won't have their guns and tv's anymore. Why waste your time on that.

I have a feeling that some looters may feel they are in better control of their lives in New Orleans.
0 likes   

kevin

#7 Postby kevin » Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:54 pm

Power is intoxicating.
0 likes   

blueeyes_austin
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#8 Postby blueeyes_austin » Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:16 am

Read Hobbes. We surrender our autonomy to the Levithan for darn good reasons.
0 likes   

Cookiely
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#9 Postby Cookiely » Thu Sep 01, 2005 5:06 am

Eventually the looters are going to get hungry and thirsty and be rounded up for evac. Do they really think that they will get to keep the TV's and Jewelry etc.
0 likes   

Miss Mary

#10 Postby Miss Mary » Thu Sep 01, 2005 7:01 am

Ya know I hate to say it, but as I'm a baby boomer, when I born and raised, we knew right from wrong. We knew mom was there after school when we came in the door. Asking about our day. She was also there if I wanted to walk home from school, for lunch! Again, to ask how my day was going. There were lines that we didn't cross - we didn't talk back to teachers, we respected our elders, again - we knew right from wrong!

Sadly, I suspect this is a reflection on how our way of life has changed in just mere decades.

Mary
0 likes   

JenBayles
Category 5
Category 5

#11 Postby JenBayles » Thu Sep 01, 2005 7:05 am

I think Dave put it well after watching looters on TV last night. He just shook his head and said, "They've gone feral."
0 likes   

gtalum
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#12 Postby gtalum » Thu Sep 01, 2005 7:48 am

The veneer of civilization is a thin one. It always has been and it always will be.
0 likes   

Downdraft
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#13 Postby Downdraft » Thu Sep 01, 2005 8:26 am

Government has no greater responsibility than the protection of it's citizens. The engineering problems that created this disaster aside I believe taking control back of the city by WHATEVER means necessary is the only solution at the moment. To put it simply the use of deadly force should now be authorized.
0 likes   

blueeyes_austin
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#14 Postby blueeyes_austin » Thu Sep 01, 2005 9:03 am

Downdraft wrote:Government has no greater responsibility than the protection of it's citizens. The engineering problems that created this disaster aside I believe taking control back of the city by WHATEVER means necessary is the only solution at the moment. To put it simply the use of deadly force should now be authorized.

Should have been authorized on Monday. This was completely and utterly predictable.
0 likes   

Persepone
Category 2
Category 2

#15 Postby Persepone » Thu Sep 01, 2005 9:08 am

blueeyes_austin wrote:
Downdraft wrote:Government has no greater responsibility than the protection of it's citizens. The engineering problems that created this disaster aside I believe taking control back of the city by WHATEVER means necessary is the only solution at the moment. To put it simply the use of deadly force should now be authorized.

Should have been authorized on Monday. This was completely and utterly predictable.

Yes, it should have been foreseen and it should have been authorized on Monday.

This type of behavior escalates quickly. "If everyone else is looting, I'd better get mine...." "If they have guns, I need a gun to defend myself" and "there's no other way" and so forth and so on--violence begets violence.

It needs to be handled quickly and unequvocally or you see what we are now seeing in New Orleans.
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Recovery and Aftermath”