OMG did anyone just see Orlando's report on Fox News

Discuss the recovery and aftermath of landfalling hurricanes. Please be sensitive to those that have been directly impacted. Political threads will be deleted without notice. This is the place to come together not divide.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

jrtalon
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

OMG did anyone just see Orlando's report on Fox News

#1 Postby jrtalon » Wed Aug 31, 2005 9:18 pm

they just showed a clip of a rescue worker spray painting an X on someones home and then spray painting a 7 next to it. They are putting X's where there are bodies in the house, I assume the 7 means how many. Must of been an entire family :cry: How many more are there? And he said one of the cops told him that they are going into the houses and finding looters walking over the bodies to get stuff. He quoted the cop as saying that he would like to get his gun and shoot them, then nail a paper to their chests saying looter. That officer has my support to go ahead and do just that.
0 likes   

Stratusxpeye
Category 2
Category 2

#2 Postby Stratusxpeye » Wed Aug 31, 2005 9:27 pm

Yup. I seen this too. I agree 100% Shoot em down tag em and add a number on the house. Disgraceful. Although at this time theres no way for them to really do much with the looters. Even if they arrested them where are they going to go? The lake? And theyd spend too much time doing so. I understand where officials are coming from on this one, Butr i agree with the shoot em phrase.
0 likes   

NC George
Category 2
Category 2

#3 Postby NC George » Wed Aug 31, 2005 9:35 pm

Anderon Cooper was AT the scene when 4 bodies were found, later he said they found 6 today.
0 likes   

Mightygator
Tropical Wave
Tropical Wave

#4 Postby Mightygator » Wed Aug 31, 2005 9:49 pm

From article from Biloxi newspaper.

http://www.sunherald.com/mld/sunherald/12526760.htm

"They marked most houses with a red "X," meaning unsafe for entry, and a number below, showing the number of bodies inside."
0 likes   

jhamps10
Category 5
Category 5

#5 Postby jhamps10 » Wed Aug 31, 2005 10:20 pm

Might I add Shep Smith's report on earlier tonight. All of those people on that freeway overpass, and there's no where for them to go, at least that they know. He was pleading to the state police to give these people some direction, some assistance, these folks have gone 2 days with nothin... just sad, very sad
0 likes   

soonertwister
Category 5
Category 5

#6 Postby soonertwister » Wed Aug 31, 2005 10:27 pm

Make that 7 an 8, move to the next house.
0 likes   

Praxus
Category 1
Category 1

#7 Postby Praxus » Wed Aug 31, 2005 10:36 pm

Damn :(

This quote ""It’s very stressful on the dog"

Means they are finding LOTS of bodies and no survivors anymore.
Search and rescue dogs get very stressed by continually finding dead bodies
and in fact at the worst times, search teams may stage a fake 'survivor'
for the dog to find in order to keep the animal's spirits up.
0 likes   

JQ Public
Category 5
Category 5

#8 Postby JQ Public » Wed Aug 31, 2005 10:40 pm

Yeh i saw that special with anderson cooper. I think he was in Mississippi thought not NO.
0 likes   

canejacket
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#9 Postby canejacket » Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:19 am

it's pathetic to hear people advocating the killing of more when there are already thousands dead. I don't agree with looting (although if it's to eat to survive it seems ok) but these people don't need to be shot for it, everyone is in a desperate state right now. These are poor people who didn't have much before, and now have lost everything.
0 likes   

blueeyes_austin
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#10 Postby blueeyes_austin » Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:24 am

canejacket wrote:it's pathetic to hear people advocating the killing of more when there are already thousands dead. I don't agree with looting (although if it's to eat to survive it seems ok) but these people don't need to be shot for it, everyone is in a desperate state right now. These are poor people who didn't have much before, and now have lost everything.

The desperate state is made much more so by the lawlessness injected into the the situation by criminal elements.
0 likes   

CentralFlGal
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#11 Postby CentralFlGal » Thu Sep 01, 2005 1:50 am

Sorry. I have zero sympathy for a human who will walk over dead bodies to collect booty.

We're not talking about survival here (if we were, that would be another story). We're talking about base opportunism.

If you can't eat it or don't need it, leave it alone. And for god sakes, have some respect for those who lost their lives.
0 likes   

Cookiely
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#12 Postby Cookiely » Thu Sep 01, 2005 4:36 am

These looters are the lowest of the low. I have no problem with anyone taking food or necessary items from any store. Its the criminals and drug addicts who are ransacking jewelry stores and pharmacies that burn my grits and should be shot. As for the Astrodome, you are going to have major problems. If you place so many chickens in a certain size coop, they do fine. Narrow the space to a certain point and they start pecking each other to death. I sincerely believe they should have used a military base with lots of tents for families. Much easier to supply with an airport and lots of security to contain the lawless element.
0 likes   

azsnowman
Category 5
Category 5
Location: Pinetop Arizona. Elevation 7102' (54 miles west of NM border)

#13 Postby azsnowman » Thu Sep 01, 2005 7:26 am

Praxus wrote:Damn :(

This quote ""It’s very stressful on the dog"

Means they are finding LOTS of bodies and no survivors anymore.
Search and rescue dogs get very stressed by continually finding dead bodies
and in fact at the worst times, search teams may stage a fake 'survivor'
for the dog to find in order to keep the animal's spirits up.

As some of you know, I'm the Unit Commander for the White Mountain Apache Police Dept. K9 Search and Rescue Unit, I am also a law enforcement officer for another PD in the White Mountains. We've been placed on "ready standby" for activation.

I am a "NASAR" (national assoc. search and rescue) Certified K9 Handler, my dog Jessica, a Chocolate Labrador Retreiver, is a NASAR Certified Cadavor Dog..........I can tell you first hand that the dog DOES indeed get "depressed" when they've found nothing but cadavors and mental WEAR and TEAR on the "Handler" is beyond comprehension.

I've been on 3 back to back Search and "Recovery" missions over the past 4 weeks where I live, it took a mental toll on myself AND my dog.......I NEED a live find but with the "call out" being certain at this time, it appears that is not meant to be.

Dennis
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Recovery and Aftermath”