Just A Thought

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
Janice
Category 5
Category 5

Just A Thought

#1 Postby Janice » Sat Mar 15, 2003 8:17 am

Replies to my last question had me thinking. Why do some people just refuse not to prepare for a horrible hurricane or storm coming their way. They know the results of damage from previous storms. I have neighbors who do nothing. There are still tons of childrens toys in their yards, lawn furniture is still in backyards and nothing on windows. These are nice homes too. Crazy, huh?
0 likes   

mf_dolphin
Category 5
Category 5

#2 Postby mf_dolphin » Sat Mar 15, 2003 8:56 am

I think a lot of it is just apathy. Here in the Tampa Bay area people haven't seen a major storm in so long they don't even prepare. When we get hit again it will be a disaster I'm sure.
0 likes   

Rob-TheStormChaser

#3 Postby Rob-TheStormChaser » Sat Mar 15, 2003 8:59 am

I guess they have good insurance?! lol Seems crazy to me to even move along the coastlines with costs being so high and the possibility of your house being totally destroyed, but people love the water and some just think they can get through and get by...beats me.
0 likes   

mf_dolphin
Category 5
Category 5

#4 Postby mf_dolphin » Sat Mar 15, 2003 9:07 am

Pinellas County where I live would become 2 small islands if a Cat 4 or 5 came ashore just to our north. The county is one of the most densely populated in Florida and offers only 5 real escape routes. 4 of those routes are bridges with US Hwy 19 the only real land route out of the county. On a good day Hwy 19 is bad with normal traffic, I can't even imagine what it would be like during an evacuation.
0 likes   

Rob-TheStormChaser

#5 Postby Rob-TheStormChaser » Sat Mar 15, 2003 9:12 am

Not only that....more buildings are going up and the population gets more dense as time goes on. Even though people get wiped out or say they'll leave, someone always takes their place tenfold. I just hope that people are more educated on the weather, especially down there.....it affects us all sooner or later in a big way.
0 likes   

mf_dolphin
Category 5
Category 5

#6 Postby mf_dolphin » Sat Mar 15, 2003 9:24 am

The unfortunate thing is that since it's been so long people get the feeling that "It can't happen here" :( When it does, and it will, it will be devastating. The Tampa Bay area is listed as one of the top 5 places in the US for a a worse case hurricane scenario.
0 likes   

Rob-TheStormChaser

#7 Postby Rob-TheStormChaser » Sat Mar 15, 2003 9:27 am

Well...seeing as Tampa hasnt gotten really anything powerful in many years, they are long overdue I'd say! My sister used to live in Riverview just a tad inland from the Bay and they really never saw much unless it was high surf and the rivers flooding from it. Time will tell.
0 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”