2024 ENSO: La Niña watch in effect: CPC May Update on the 9th / Will they announce that El Niño ended?

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
cycloneye
Admin
Admin

Re: 2024 ENSO Updates: La Niña watch in effect

#261 Postby cycloneye » Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:13 am

0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

DorkyMcDorkface
Category 2
Category 2

#262 Postby DorkyMcDorkface » Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:19 am

Hayabusa wrote:Another (fake?) wwb by the gfs
https://i.postimg.cc/76yGTsdG/u-anom-30-5-S-5-N.gif

It forecasted a strong WWB about two weeks ago and it ended up trending/verifying much weaker. See below:
 https://twitter.com/WxPatel/status/1778101979908124782

Given the G(E)FS' track record of amplification bias in the Pacific, it isn't too surprising. I honestly wouldn't put too much stock in this, especially given the continued deterioration of the Niño background state should make it increasingly difficult to get strong, sustained WWBs.
1 likes   
Floyd 1999 | Isabel 2003 | Hanna 2008 | Irene 2011 | Sandy 2012 | Isaias 2020

zzzh
Category 2
Category 2

#263 Postby zzzh » Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:22 am

DorkyMcDorkface wrote:
Hayabusa wrote:Another (fake?) wwb by the gfs
https://i.postimg.cc/76yGTsdG/u-anom-30-5-S-5-N.gif

It forecasted a strong WWB about two weeks ago and it ended up trending/verifying much weaker. See below:
https://twitter.com/WxPatel/status/1778101979908124782?t=kx4Vx2heBZig3UmNmpQCxQ&s=19

Given the G(E)FS' track record of amplification bias in the Pacific, it isn't too surprising. I honestly wouldn't put too much stock in this, especially given the continued deterioration of the Niño background state should make it increasingly difficult to get strong, sustained WWBs.

The main problem is that GFS spins up phantom typhoons in the WPAC, causing a feedback loop resulting in stronger westerlies. EPS also shows some westerlies but not to that extent. We'll see in 2 weeks.
1 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#264 Postby cycloneye » Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:26 am

Is inevitable the transition to neutral and then to la niña, but the atmosphere, does not want to cooperate yet. The 30 day SOI has been falling for almost a month since March 30th. Today tumbled to -7.31.

https://www.longpaddock.qld.gov.au/soi/
2 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#265 Postby cycloneye » Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:51 am

CFSv2 returns to moderate La Niña for ASO after being at weak territory for the past few days.

3 likes   

Dean_175
Category 1
Category 1

#266 Postby Dean_175 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:44 pm

cycloneye wrote:CFSv2 returns to moderate La Niña for ASO after being at weak territory for the past few days.

https://i.imgur.com/lMH2Nf6.jpeg

It has definitely gotten more conservative than during Jan-March when it was showing a full on super La Nina with a peak of -2.5C.Always was skeptical of that because it goes against climatology of La Nina strength. As we get through the spring barrier, some fluctuation in dynamical predictions are to be expected, but we are getting closer to accuracy. Moderate or moderate-to-strong Nina is most likely IMO.
2 likes   
All posts by Dean_175 are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

StPeteMike
Category 1
Category 1

#267 Postby StPeteMike » Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:04 pm

Dean_175 wrote:
cycloneye wrote:CFSv2 returns to moderate La Niña for ASO after being at weak territory for the past few days.

https://i.imgur.com/lMH2Nf6.jpeg

It has definitely gotten more conservative than during Jan-March when it was showing a full on super La Nina with a peak of -2.5C.Always was skeptical of that because it goes against climatology of La Nina strength. As we get through the spring barrier, some fluctuation in dynamical predictions are to be expected, but we are getting closer to accuracy. Moderate or moderate-to-strong Nina is most likely IMO.

I still wouldn’t rule out a Very Strong La Niña, though a “Super” event seems pretty drastic at this point.

I will say, seems foolish to consider much of strength of La Niña this year with what we saw with 2023. We had a pretty strong El Niño and we still produced 20 Named Storms. 1999 season was a Moderate-Strong La Niña and we had 12 Named Storms. Now obviously, with better technology and such, those numbers would be closer to 16-18 range, but still below what we saw last year. There’s no doubt that the warmer waters are making scientists reconsider the impact of El Niño to storm formations, though it still can be said that El Niño does have a limitation in intensity.

Point is, even with a moderate La Niña, the season will surely be active. Add in warmer waters on top of La Niña and look at last year, the idea of a 30 named storms season isn’t out of the realm. Even if we get the 23 named storms that seems to be the average forecast at this moment, the season is set to have a large number of hurricanes and majors. I won’t rule out tying or even surpassing the 1950 record of major hurricanes, though that would have to coincide with a season on the higher end of some of the forecasts.
1 likes   
The above post is not official and should not be used as such. It is the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is not endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#268 Postby cycloneye » Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:32 am

This is wxman57 post at the poll thread.

wxman57 wrote:Okay, I'll join in. My initial thoughts were 21/11/5. However, I'm not so sure about La Nina. April Euro backed off on the cooler forecast. For here, I'll go with 19/8/4.

I think that the Euro ENSO model comes out on May 5th.
0 likes   

Yellow Evan
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#269 Postby Yellow Evan » Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:41 am

There’s no such thing as a super La Niña.
1 likes   

DorkyMcDorkface
Category 2
Category 2

#270 Postby DorkyMcDorkface » Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:10 pm

cycloneye wrote:This is wxman57 post at the poll thread.

"wxman57"]Okay, I'll join in. My initial thoughts were 21/11/5. However, I'm not so sure about La Nina. April Euro backed off on the cooler forecast. For here, I'll go with 19/8/4.

I can perhaps understand skepticism for a particularly strong event, but we are very much on track for a La Niña of some caliber. Subsurface cold pool is strong, we're shedding the Niño atmospheric base state, and the cooling of the equatorial Pacific is becoming increasingly noticeable. Nothing to really suggest we'll stray away from the trajectory we're on at this point. There really isn't much of a predictability barrier to speak of this time around - what we're seeing lines up almost perfectly with post strong Niño climo.
1 likes   
Floyd 1999 | Isabel 2003 | Hanna 2008 | Irene 2011 | Sandy 2012 | Isaias 2020

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

#271 Postby LarryWx » Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:10 pm

wxman57 wrote:Okay, I'll join in. My initial thoughts were 21/11/5. However, I'm not so sure about La Nina. April Euro backed off on the cooler forecast. For here, I'll go with 19/8/4.

To reiterate 57's point the April Euro for ASO ONI has a mere -0.2, which is considerably warmer than last month's run. But it is also important to realize that the Euro has a warm bias. Incorporating the warm bias tells me that the latest Euro is still implying a low end weak La Nina for the most likely ASO ONI, which is scary to me because WEAK La Nina ASOs along with cold neutral have actually been the most ominous on average with regard to # of CONUS H landfalls. So, I'd actually prefer a stronger La Nina to lessen the perceived threat to the CONUS to some extent.

Another important thing to keep in mind though is that RONI rather than ONI is probably a better measure to follow especially because the discrepancy between the two has been at record highs recently. The advantage of using RONI over ONI is that RONI has better reflected the actual ENSO phase/magnitude since it negates the warming effect from the very warm surrounding global tropical waters. So, RONI has been significantly cooler than ONI over the last year. Thus this last El Nino peak magnitude was only borderline moderate/strong on a RONI basis vs borderline strong/super on an ONI basis. If we assume this relationship were to continue to some extent into the fall/winter, the upcoming La Nina (assuming it occurs) would come in stronger per RONI than per ONI.
5 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#272 Postby cycloneye » Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:32 pm

Here is that Euro April plot with the less cooling.

0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#273 Postby cycloneye » Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:45 pm

LarryWx wrote:

To reiterate 57's point the April Euro for ASO ONI has a mere -0.2, which is considerably warmer than last month's run. But it is also important to realize that the Euro has a warm bias. Incorporating the warm bias tells me that the latest Euro is still implying a low end weak La Nina for the most likely ASO ONI, which is scary to me because WEAK La Nina ASOs along with cold neutral have actually been the most ominous on average with regard to # of CONUS H landfalls. So, I'd actually prefer a stronger La Nina to lessen the perceived threat to the CONUS to some extent.

Another important thing to keep in mind though is that RONI rather than ONI is probably a better measure to follow especially because the discrepancy between the two has been at record highs recently. The advantage of using RONI over ONI is that RONI has better reflected the actual ENSO phase/magnitude since it negates the warming effect from the very warm surrounding global tropical waters. So, RONI has been significantly cooler than ONI over the last year. Thus this last El Nino peak magnitude was only borderline moderate/strong on a RONI basis vs borderline strong/super on an ONI basis. If we assume this relationship were to continue to some extent into the fall/winter, the upcoming La Nina (assuming it occurs) would come in stronger per RONI than per ONI.

Thanks Larry for the clear explanation about the Euro, ONI, RONI.
1 likes   

Dean_175
Category 1
Category 1

#274 Postby Dean_175 » Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:07 pm

Yellow Evan wrote:There’s no such thing as a super La Niña.

Super is not an official term for either Nino or Nina. It is the unofficial word given when ONI deviates more than +/- 2.0C for 3 consecutive trimonthlies. There has never been a recorded instance of this, but 1971 came pretty close. They are likely still within the realm of possibility even if they are rarer than their Nino counterpart.
0 likes   
All posts by Dean_175 are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

#275 Postby LarryWx » Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:49 pm

Dean_175 wrote:
Yellow Evan wrote:There’s no such thing as a super La Niña.

Super is not an official term for either Nino or Nina. It is the unofficial word given when ONI deviates more than +/- 2.0C for 3 consecutive trimonthlies. There has never been a recorded instance of this, but 1971 came pretty close. They are likely still within the realm of possibility even if they are rarer than their Nino counterpart.

1. I assume you mean 1973-4:

https://origin.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/produc ... ONI_v5.php

2. Next strongest since 1950 was 1988-9.

3. Before 1950 per Eric Webb, 1916-7 was on the border of super:
https://www.webberweather.com/ensemble- ... index.html
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Blown Away
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#276 Postby Blown Away » Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:23 pm

Regardless wouldn’t Cool-Neutral or La Niña likely result in a stronger BH and systems moving farther W?
0 likes   
Hurricane Eye Experience: David 79, Irene 99, Frances 04, Jeanne 04, Wilma 05...
Hurricane Brush Experience: Andrew 92, Erin 95, Floyd 99, Matthew 16, Irma 17, Ian 22, Nicole 22…

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#277 Postby Kingarabian » Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:29 pm

GFS can't help itself:

That being said we could see a WWB near 150E during mid May. Models seem to take the MJO back into that region with amplitude.
0 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

dexterlabio
Category 5
Category 5

#278 Postby dexterlabio » Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:43 am

Although nearing its end, this El Niño is making its presence felt in many parts of Asia. Widespread drought, life-threatening and record high temperature being recorded in SE Asia. To me this is a similar experience to early 1998 and 2010, at least in this part of the world. Interesting enough, the last Super El Niño of 2015-2016 wasn't this bad.
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#279 Postby cycloneye » Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:38 am

Niño 3.4 down to +0.5C and Niño 3 down to +0.0C.

1 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

Re: 2024 ENSO Updates: La Niña watch in effect: CPC May Update on the 9th / Will they announce that El Niño ended?

#280 Postby cycloneye » Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:00 am

The weekly CPC update has niño 3.4 at +0.8C and is up from the +0.7C of last week, but the trend is to keep cooling and, is going to be in Neutral in a couple of weeks, when they make the announcement of El Niño ending.

https://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/ ... ts-web.pdf

0 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”