2024 ENSO Updates= BoM / CPC have La Niña watch in effect

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
cycloneye
Admin
Admin

Re: 2024 ENSO: La Niña watch in effect: CPC May Update on the 9th / Will they announce that El Niño ended?

#301 Postby cycloneye » Sun May 05, 2024 1:45 pm

Both the 30 day and 90 day SOI are going up.

1 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

NotSparta
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

Re: 2024 ENSO: La Niña watch in effect: CPC May Update on the 9th / Will they announce that El Niño ended?

#302 Postby NotSparta » Sun May 05, 2024 5:44 pm

MetroMike wrote:Excuse any ignorance on my part but what is going on with 7 day trend in the Nino region of the Pac?
Seems unexpected or no?
https://i.imgur.com/CfjHuiY.png

You tend to get wild fluctuations during the transition to La Nina as the cooler waters attempt to flush out the remaining warm water. This is about as expected as it gets
10 likes   
This post was probably an opinion of mine, and in no way is official. Please refer to http://www.hurricanes.gov for official tropical analysis and advisories.

My website, with lots of tropical wx graphics, including satellite and recon: http://cyclonicwx.com

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

Re: 2024 ENSO: La Niña watch in effect: Breaking News= CPC Weekly update has Niño 3.4 down to +0.5C

#303 Postby cycloneye » Mon May 06, 2024 8:35 am

CPC reaches the important line of +0.5C and is very probable that they will say el niño ends on next thursdays update.

https://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/ ... ts-web.pdf

2 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

Re: 2024 ENSO: La Niña watch in effect: Breaking News= CPC Weekly update has Niño 3.4 down to +0.5C

#304 Postby LarryWx » Mon May 06, 2024 10:55 am

cycloneye wrote:CPC reaches the important line of +0.5C and is very probable that they will say el niño ends on next thursdays update.

https://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/ ... ts-web.pdf

https://i.imgur.com/kzKhTOU.jpeg

https://i.imgur.com/eOFS1PD.jpeg

From a relative (RONI) basis, it is probably already down to at least near 0.0.
5 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

Re: 2024 ENSO: La Niña watch in effect: CPC May update on the 9th

#305 Postby cycloneye » Tue May 07, 2024 7:34 pm

1 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

Re: 2024 ENSO: La Niña watch in effect: CPC May update on the 9th

#306 Postby cycloneye » Wed May 08, 2024 12:40 pm

I say there is 100% chance, that El Niño will end officially tommorow, when CPC makes the announcement in the may update.

3 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

Re: 2024 ENSO Updates: Breaking News= CPC May Update= El Niño ends in June / La Niña comes between June and August

#307 Postby cycloneye » Thu May 09, 2024 8:07 am

El NIño hangs on for one more month and then comes Neutral and in a fast pace, La NIña afterwards.

https://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/ ... disc.shtml

A transition from El Niño to ENSO-neutral is likely in the next month. La Niña may develop in June-August (49% chance) or July-September (69% chance).

During April 2024, below-average equatorial sea surface temperatures (SSTs) emerged in small regions of the eastern Pacific Ocean. However, above-average SSTs prevailed across the rest of the equatorial Pacific [Fig. 1]. The latest weekly Niño index values remained between +0.5°C and +0.8°C in all regions, except for Niño-3 which was +0.3°C [Fig. 2]. Below-average subsurface temperatures held steady during the month (area-averaged index in [Fig. 3]), with negative anomalies extending from the Date Line to the eastern Pacific Ocean [Fig. 4]. Low-level wind anomalies were easterly over the western equatorial Pacific, while upper-level winds were near average. Convection was near average overall across the equatorial Pacific Ocean and Indonesia [Fig. 5]. Collectively, the coupled ocean-atmosphere system reflected the continued weakening of El Niño and transition toward ENSO-neutral.

1 likes   

StPeteMike
Category 1
Category 1

Re: 2024 ENSO Updates: Breaking News= CPC May Update= El Niño ends in June / La Niña comes between June and August

#308 Postby StPeteMike » Thu May 09, 2024 8:09 am

Surprise they held onto El Niño for a little bit longer but there’s a reason they’re the experts and I’m just an observer. haha
0 likes   
The above post is not official and should not be used as such. It is the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is not endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#309 Postby Category5Kaiju » Thu May 09, 2024 8:13 am

Farewell El Nino! I guess we'll see you again in....2026 or 2027? Maybe 2028 at the latest?
0 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#310 Postby cycloneye » Thu May 09, 2024 10:10 am

There were discussions among the CPC folks about to end el niño in this update or not. See below about that at their ENSO Blog:

https://www.climate.gov/news-features/b ... te-were-10

There was some discussion this week amongst our ENSO forecast team about whether El Niño, much weakened already early last month, is still present. El Niño is a coupled system, meaning the ocean and atmosphere both exhibit characteristic changes. The atmospheric half of El Niño is harder to detect this month; most of the standard equatorial Pacific atmospheric indicators (rain and clouds over the tropical Pacific, trade winds and upper-level winds) were pretty close to average.

However, the April average sea surface temperature in the tropical Pacific was still 0.8 °C above average according to the ERSSTv5 dataset (average = 1991–2020). The latest weekly measurement, which comes from the OISSTv2 dataset, was 0.5 °C above average. Given that the El Niño threshold is 0.5 °C, the team decided we’re right on the edge of the transition to neutral conditions. We also can’t rule out some lingering El Niño impacts in other regions of the world.
1 likes   

Teban54
Category 5
Category 5

#311 Postby Teban54 » Thu May 09, 2024 10:21 am

cycloneye wrote:There were discussions among the CPC folks about to end el niño in this update or not. See below about that at their ENSO Blog:

https://www.climate.gov/news-features/b ... te-were-10

There was some discussion this week amongst our ENSO forecast team about whether El Niño, much weakened already early last month, is still present. El Niño is a coupled system, meaning the ocean and atmosphere both exhibit characteristic changes. The atmospheric half of El Niño is harder to detect this month; most of the standard equatorial Pacific atmospheric indicators (rain and clouds over the tropical Pacific, trade winds and upper-level winds) were pretty close to average.

However, the April average sea surface temperature in the tropical Pacific was still 0.8 °C above average according to the ERSSTv5 dataset (average = 1991–2020). The latest weekly measurement, which comes from the OISSTv2 dataset, was 0.5 °C above average. Given that the El Niño threshold is 0.5 °C, the team decided we’re right on the edge of the transition to neutral conditions. We also can’t rule out some lingering El Niño impacts in other regions of the world.

This is where I wonder if controlling for global warming and the rest of the global SSTs should have been used, such as relative ONI (RONI) as Larry had advocated for recently. Even with 1991-2020 climo, it feels that the much warmer global oceanic pattern is at least hurting the atmospheric coupling of this El Nino, if not outright inflating ONI.
2 likes   

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: 2024 ENSO= CPC May Update= El Niño ends in June / La Niña comes between June and Augusted

#312 Postby Kingarabian » Thu May 09, 2024 11:52 am

I think one of the reasons they kept the El Nino is probably due to the 90 day SOI still in warm ENSO mode.

In 2019, one of their reason to not extend the 2018 El Nino is because the ONI was going to update later in 2019 nd that the trimonthlies would be automatically adjusted lower. Which didn't happen. So I don't think the CPC relies solely on ONI or RONI in their assessments. The CPC has said it factors in all of the avaliable Climo datasets and also factors buoy and ship data in their Nino estimates. So they're probably seeing something we don't have access to.

That being said the El Nino event is over and we're just waiting on cool neutral conditions to set in. Very possible we see a La Nina before August.
Last edited by Kingarabian on Fri May 10, 2024 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
1 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

Re: 2024 ENSO= CPC May Update= El Niño ends in June / La Niña comes between June and August

#313 Postby cycloneye » Thu May 09, 2024 12:22 pm

2 likes   

ColdMiser123
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

Re: 2024 ENSO= CPC May Update= El Niño ends in June / La Niña comes between July and September / ENSO Blog posted

#314 Postby ColdMiser123 » Thu May 09, 2024 3:43 pm

May 8th OISSTv.2.1 SST departures, which should be used in this Monday's CPC update:

Niño 1+2: -0.4 (-1.3 change).
Niño 3: -0.0 (-0.3 change).
Niño 3.4: +0.3 (-0.2 change).
Niño 4: +0.8 (-0.0 change).
Last edited by ColdMiser123 on Mon May 13, 2024 4:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
1 likes   
B.S., M.S., Meteorology & Atmospheric Science

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

Re: 2024 ENSO= CPC May Update= El Niño ends in June / La Niña comes between June and August

#315 Postby cycloneye » Thu May 09, 2024 7:44 pm

Question for LarryWx. Do you agree with what CPC did to not announce in the may update that El NIño ended? I ask because you analize in a great way about this as you talk a lot about the RONI etc.
1 likes   

StPeteMike
Category 1
Category 1

#316 Postby StPeteMike » Thu May 09, 2024 8:59 pm

cycloneye wrote:Question for LarryWx. Do you agree with what CPC did to not announce in the may update that El NIño ended? I ask because you analize in a great way about this as you talk a lot about the RONI etc.

Interested as well, as I would assumed they would had went with neutral already or neutral in a week or so. Heck, I was bullish and thought they might have gone with very early stage of La Niña (just crossing the line from neutral) with the update.
0 likes   
The above post is not official and should not be used as such. It is the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is not endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

skyline385
Category 5
Category 5

#317 Postby skyline385 » Thu May 09, 2024 9:51 pm

StPeteMike wrote:
cycloneye wrote:Question for LarryWx. Do you agree with what CPC did to not announce in the may update that El NIño ended? I ask because you analize in a great way about this as you talk a lot about the RONI etc.

Interested as well, as I would assumed they would had went with neutral already or neutral in a week or so. Heck, I was bullish and thought they might have gone with very early stage of La Niña (just crossing the line from neutral) with the update.

Its in their ENSO outlook posted some comments back, they use ONI for defining ENSO state which is a 3-month averaged index still sitting at 1.1ºC for FMA (Feb-Mar-Apr). From the ppt itself:

CPC considers El Niño or La Niña conditions to occur when the monthly Niño3.4 OISST departures meet or exceed +/- 0.5ºC along with consistent atmospheric features. These anomalies must also be forecasted to persist for 3 consecutive months.

Hence, they predicted ENSO Neutral by AMJ (85% chance) which would mean they would declare it in July and forecast La Nina by JJA (60% chance) corresponding to declaring it in September if their forecast verifies. BOM on the other hand doesn't use a lagging index like ONI and hence are quick to declare ENSO states.
Last edited by skyline385 on Thu May 09, 2024 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
4 likes   

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

#318 Postby LarryWx » Thu May 09, 2024 10:08 pm

StPeteMike wrote:

Luis and Mike,
1. I feel like CPC has been inconsistent in the past. When I tried to predict when they were going to declare El Niño last year, I was wrong as they did it earlier than I expected.

2. Published: May 12, 2016

El Niño/Southern Oscillation (ENSO) Diagnostic Discussion issued by the Climate Prediction Center/NCEP/NWS

ENSO Alert System Status: El Niño Advisory/La Niña Watch
Synopsis: La Niña is favored to develop during the Northern Hemisphere summer 2016, with about a 75% chance of La Nina during the fall and winter 2016-17.

3. Published CPC ENSO Update

Published: May 9, 2024

El Niño/Southern Oscillation (ENSO) Diagnostic Discussion issued by the Climate Prediction Center/NCEP/NWS

ENSO Alert System Status: El Niño Advisory / La Niña Watch
Synopsis: A transition from El Niño to ENSO-neutral is likely in the next month. La Niña may develop in June-August (49% chance) or July-September (69% chance).

4. So, the wording of May of 2016 and the wording of May of 2024 update is fairly similar. They were both still in El Niño per ONI. MAM of 2016 ONI ended up at +0.9 and then it went neutral AMJ.
MAM of 2024 ONI is also looking to still be El Niño with ~+0.7, only slightly cooler than MAM of 2016. AMJ of 2024 should similar to AMJ of 2016 be neutral.

5. Even though RONI is found at a CPC ENSO site, it still has yet to be used for anything official. They’ve been sticking to ONI for official. However, unofficially FMA of 2024 was already down to neutral (+0.48) on a RONI basis and MAM RONI is likely going to already be close to 0.0.
3 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#319 Postby cycloneye » Fri May 10, 2024 10:46 am

LarryWx wrote:
StPeteMike wrote:

Luis and Mike,
1. I feel like CPC has been inconsistent in the past. When I tried to predict when they were going to declare El Niño last year, I was wrong as they did it earlier than I expected.

2. Published: May 12, 2016

ENSO Alert System Status: El Niño Advisory/La Niña Watch
Synopsis: La Niña is favored to develop during the Northern Hemisphere summer 2016, with about a 75% chance of La Nina during the fall and winter 2016-17.

3. Published CPC ENSO Update

Published: May 9, 2024

ENSO Alert System Status: El Niño Advisory / La Niña Watch
Synopsis: A transition from El Niño to ENSO-neutral is likely in the next month. La Niña may develop in June-August (49% chance) or July-September (69% chance).

4. So, the wording of May of 2016 and the wording of May of 2024 update is fairly similar. They were both still in El Niño per ONI. MAM of 2016 ONI ended up at +0.9 and then it went neutral AMJ.
MAM of 2024 ONI is also looking to still be El Niño with ~+0.7, only slightly cooler than MAM of 2016. AMJ of 2024 should similar to AMJ of 2016 be neutral.

5. Even though RONI is found at a CPC ENSO site, it still has yet to be used for anything official. They’ve been sticking to ONI for official. However, unofficially FMA of 2024 was already down to neutral (+0.48) on a RONI basis and MAM RONI is likely going to already be close to 0.0.

Thanks as always for your clear explanation about this. I think the transition from Neutral to La Niña will be fast according to the CPC folks. They say El NIño ends in June and then say La NIña between June and August.
2 likes   

weeniepatrol
Category 3
Category 3

#320 Postby weeniepatrol » Fri May 10, 2024 3:47 pm

I personally don't agree with CPC; I agree with the BoM assessment that El Nino ended in April. I understand BoM has a higher threshold for El Nino and thus take longer than CPC to declare an event but also sooner than CPC to end it.

Per the ENSO blog it was splitting hairs either way, analogous to an analyzed 135-kt system with a couple 140-kt sfmrs. :D

The latest weekly measurement, which comes from the OISSTv2 dataset, was 0.5 °C above average. Given that the El Niño threshold is 0.5 °C, the team decided we’re right on the edge of the transition to neutral conditions.

This is my reasoning: look at this then look me in the eye and tell me this is El Nino :lol: I understand why CPC did it tho

5 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”