Tropical Wave in the SE GOMEX (Is Invest 91L)

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
Cpv17
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Possible Development in the GOMEX by the middle of next week

#101 Postby Cpv17 » Thu Aug 17, 2023 11:18 pm

BobHarlem wrote:0z icon

https://i.imgur.com/0FcfiS5.png

San Antonio Bay landfall here on the ICON. I like that location. I would probably get some decent rains from that.
1 likes   

REDHurricane
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

Re: Possible Development in the GOMEX by the middle of next week

#102 Postby REDHurricane » Fri Aug 18, 2023 1:03 am

Stratton23 wrote:Call me crazy, but I have just a get feeling this wave is going to surprise us, Ive seen this story before, the gulf can be very very tricky sometimes, maybe it throws a curveball with this one

Despite the models backing off on development for now, I'm still inclined to agree that this is the one everyone should be watching in the next 3-5 days. Both GFS and ECMWF show this wave entering the hot tub Gulf in 2-3 days and have it parked right under a big ol' ULAC...

00z GFS +72 hours

18z ECMWF +72 hours

And just for fun, here's a reminder of the SSTs this system will have to work with over the span of around 60 hours or so:

So yeah, I'm definitely not going to call you crazy yet :boog:
5 likes   

TomballEd
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

Re: Tropical Wave in the Bahamas - May Develop in the GOMEX Next Week

#103 Postby TomballEd » Fri Aug 18, 2023 5:32 am

Euro total rain not that much different, or not significant drought relief for Houston and points N and W like Austin or College Station,

https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysi ... 806&fh=192
0 likes   

Nimbus
Category 5
Category 5

#104 Postby Nimbus » Fri Aug 18, 2023 5:57 am

REDHurricane wrote:
Stratton23 wrote:Call me crazy, but I have just a get feeling this wave is going to surprise us, Ive seen this story before, the gulf can be very very tricky sometimes, maybe it throws a curveball with this one

Despite the models backing off on development for now, I'm still inclined to agree that this is the one everyone should be watching in the next 3-5 days. Both GFS and ECMWF show this wave entering the hot tub Gulf in 2-3 days and have it parked right under a big ol' ULAC...

00z GFS +72 hours
https://i.ibb.co/mFMjPb7/gfs-z850-vort-atl-13.png
https://i.ibb.co/VYbdf2s/gfs-shear-atl-13.png

18z ECMWF +72 hours
https://i.ibb.co/hDyC7TT/ecmwf-z850-vort-atl-25.png
https://i.ibb.co/rcrB0XS/ecmwf-shear-atl-25.png

And just for fun, here's a reminder of the SSTs this system will have to work with over the span of around 60 hours or so:
https://i.ibb.co/WyDJHG0/gulfmex-c.gif

So yeah, I'm definitely not going to call you crazy yet :boog:

I see the dry shear circulation from the ULL parked at the Tex/Mex border possibly being an issue.
Will be watching the models, if the system closes off in the eastern gulf as depicted by Sunday or Monday it could fill and moisten that low before landfall.

Need to see a few runs to get a feel for the evolution there, last wave that entered the gulf was sheared out and lost its surface pressure gradient. Also that wave was sharper with a clear axis and apex in the Bahamas.

So Im just watching buoys for surface pressure drop below 29.90 for now.
0 likes   

capNstorms
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#105 Postby capNstorms » Fri Aug 18, 2023 6:53 am

Moisture moving into SETX, two foggy mornings in a row!
0 likes   

TomballEd
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#106 Postby TomballEd » Fri Aug 18, 2023 7:36 am

81F with a 78F dewpoint was producing low clouds this morning. I assume mixing will drop the dewpoints, maybe down to 70F

How do I post a picture? I didn't quite get the thing from 1990s websites to work for me.

About the wave, I suspect people's hopes for a 5 inch plus rainfall TD or TS aren't happening. 6Z GFS and 0Z rain totals for the wave, the good stuff, 2 or 4 inches, is down towards the coastal bend and Houston and the hire fire danger counties N of Houston look to get a quarter to a half. Better than nothing, of course.

I'd post an image here, but the link: https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysi ... atl_57.png
0 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#107 Postby wxman57 » Fri Aug 18, 2023 7:38 am

I'm thinking 70% chance NHC will call it a TD Monday night/Tuesday morning as it approaches the TX coast. All it would take will be one squall with a 35kt wind by recon to call it a TS. However, this does not appear to have a favorable environment that could lead to a strong TS. Kind of like Arlene earlier this year. It will cause winds 25-30 kts offshore and rough seas Mon/Tue as it passes. No wind issue into Texas, only beneficial rainfall. Unfortunately, Houston to Beaumont and southern LA parishes may not get much rain if it moves ashore as far south as Corpus Christi or near Matagorda. I'm hoping it moves ashore farther north. Not a drop of rain here since July 3. My oak tree is shedding its leaves.
2 likes   

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#108 Postby tolakram » Fri Aug 18, 2023 7:40 am

Looks like a weak sloppy system into SW Texas. All models near the same location now.

I think the GFS has the best prediction of rainfall, since the euro wants to develop this system after landfall.

0 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

Wampadawg
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#109 Postby Wampadawg » Fri Aug 18, 2023 7:47 am

So it appears the door slams shut on Houston!
For the love of the Almighty when will we catch a break
1 likes   
Harvey,Hanna,Beta,Texas Winter storm2021,Nicholas

Cpv17
Category 5
Category 5

#110 Postby Cpv17 » Fri Aug 18, 2023 7:54 am

Wampadawg wrote:So it appears the door slams shut on Houston!

I wouldn’t really say that. If it comes in north of Rockport, the Houston area should get something. Plus the models are slowly trending this to come in as a more organized system which should have more rain associated with it.
1 likes   

Cpv17
Category 5
Category 5

#111 Postby Cpv17 » Fri Aug 18, 2023 7:56 am

Most members from the 0z EPS take this towards the mid TX coast. I’d say Corpus Christi to Matagorda has the best chance right now.
1 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#112 Postby wxman57 » Fri Aug 18, 2023 8:28 am

Cpv17 wrote:

I wouldn’t really say that. If it comes in north of Rockport, the Houston area should get something. Plus the models are slowly trending this to come in as a more organized system which should have more rain associated with it.

A more organized system may have more concentrated squalls, decreasing our rain chances in Houston. We want a wide open big tropical wave, not a small TD/TS.
4 likes   

Into The Fog
Tropical Wave
Tropical Wave

#113 Postby Into The Fog » Fri Aug 18, 2023 8:29 am

Galveston will welcome any amount we may get out of this!
0 likes   

Wampadawg
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#114 Postby Wampadawg » Fri Aug 18, 2023 8:46 am

wxman57 wrote:
Cpv17 wrote:

A more organized system may have more concentrated squalls, decreasing our rain chances in Houston. We want a wide open big tropical wave, not a small TD/TS.

Come on big sloppy wave!!
0 likes   
Harvey,Hanna,Beta,Texas Winter storm2021,Nicholas

capNstorms
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#115 Postby capNstorms » Fri Aug 18, 2023 9:09 am

Not much of a shift in the ECENS forecast tracks, seems to have it's mind set on mid TX landfall. Look out for RI and brown ocean effect with this one.
0 likes   

Steve
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#116 Postby Steve » Fri Aug 18, 2023 9:17 am

jasons2k wrote:
capNstorms wrote:Not buying the weak storm models, this one might be concerning for TX and LA... rapid intensification, Maria, Harvey. Not writing this one off due to models going bipolar 8-)

The limiting factor will be dry air. But still needs watching.

Progged forward speed in my opinion is the main limiting factor.
0 likes   

Tireman4
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#117 Postby Tireman4 » Fri Aug 18, 2023 9:18 am

I am not a professional met, I am just Wxman 57's gardener, but I would think with the rising PWATS (2.0 and above), the unstableness from the Gulf and the tropical training effect, this could be widespread in a large area. That being said, I do think Mr. 57 is right on the money. A more concentrated system, the less the chances of widespread rainfall.
1 likes   

Craters
Category 1
Category 1

#118 Postby Craters » Fri Aug 18, 2023 9:21 am

wxman57 wrote:
Cpv17 wrote:

I wish I could upvote this one a couple dozen times...
0 likes   
Nothing that I post here should ever be treated as a forecast or anything resembling one. Please check with your local NWS office or the NHC for forecasts, watches, and warnings.

Craters
Category 1
Category 1

#119 Postby Craters » Fri Aug 18, 2023 9:25 am

capNstorms wrote:Not much of a shift in the ECENS forecast tracks, seems to have it's mind set on mid TX landfall. Look out for RI and brown ocean effect with this one.

Where's the moisture from the brown ocean going to come from, though? Most of Texas is doing its best desert impersonation right about now...
0 likes   
Nothing that I post here should ever be treated as a forecast or anything resembling one. Please check with your local NWS office or the NHC for forecasts, watches, and warnings.

lrak
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#120 Postby lrak » Fri Aug 18, 2023 9:27 am

Hope Corpus get a little rain and some swell. Been dry and flat for months.
1 likes   
AKA karl

Also
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
My posts on this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. My posts are my basic observations and are definitely not backed by any "well some" meteorological knowledge. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”