2024 ENSO= BoM / CPC have La Niña watch in effect

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: 2024 ENSO= CPC May Update= El Niño ends in June / La Niña comes between June and August

#321 Postby Kingarabian » Fri May 10, 2024 10:59 pm

weeniepatrol wrote:I personally don't agree with CPC; I agree with the BoM assessment that El Nino ended in April. I understand BoM has a higher threshold for El Nino and thus take longer than CPC to declare an event but also sooner than CPC to end it.

Per the ENSO blog it was splitting hairs either way, analogous to an analyzed 135-kt system with a couple 140-kt sfmrs. :D

The latest weekly measurement, which comes from the OISSTv2 dataset, was 0.5 °C above average. Given that the El Niño threshold is 0.5 °C, the team decided we’re right on the edge of the transition to neutral conditions.

This is my reasoning: look at this then look me in the eye and tell me this is El Nino :lol: I understand why CPC did it tho

https://i.imgur.com/biG3oD9.png

In this scenario from the CPC, I'm getting classic Wxman57 vs the NHC vibes. A once potent TC at the end of its life, but still considered a TC despite visible satellite imagery no longer showing a closed center.
3 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

Woofde
Category 1
Category 1

Re: RE: Re: 2024 ENSO= CPC May Update= El Niño ends in June / La Niña comes between June and August

#322 Postby Woofde » Fri May 10, 2024 11:12 pm

weeniepatrol wrote:I personally don't agree with CPC; I agree with the BoM assessment that El Nino ended in April. I understand BoM has a higher threshold for El Nino and thus take longer than CPC to declare an event but also sooner than CPC to end it.

Per the ENSO blog it was splitting hairs either way, analogous to an analyzed 135-kt system with a couple 140-kt sfmrs. :D

The latest weekly measurement, which comes from the OISSTv2 dataset, was 0.5 °C above average. Given that the El Niño threshold is 0.5 °C, the team decided we’re right on the edge of the transition to neutral conditions.

This is my reasoning: look at this then look me in the eye and tell me this is El Nino I understand why CPC did it tho

I agree with that as well. It may qualify as El nino using the 3 month average, but it's quickly swapping. They themselves even admit that the atmosphere is not in an El Nino state anymore.

From their blog:
"The atmospheric half of El Niño is harder to detect this month; most of the standard equatorial Pacific atmospheric indicators (rain and clouds over the tropical Pacific, trade winds and upper-level winds) were pretty close to average."

If you look at the SSTs through a relative lense (anomalies - global average) instead of an absolute one it's even clearer that it's over and rapidly transitioning.

We have an El nino only in name right now.Image
4 likes   

weeniepatrol
Category 3
Category 3

Re: RE: Re: 2024 ENSO= CPC May Update= El Niño ends in June / La Niña comes between June and August

#323 Postby weeniepatrol » Sat May 11, 2024 3:51 am

Woofde wrote: -snipped-

We have an El nino only in name right now.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20240511/e6f2a2390adc6e51a1fa48a2454f75e2.jpg

Exactly. That's the thing the atmosphere collectively looks like the ocean. I'd understand if there was WWBs or evidence of a low-frequency convective signal over the Pacific, still. But instead, its oops all trades and low-frequency forcing over Africa/Indian.
1 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

Re: 2024 ENSO= CPC May Update= El Niño ends in June / La Niña comes between June and August

#324 Postby cycloneye » Sun May 12, 2024 12:46 pm

The transition to Neutral / La Niña is going smoothly.

3 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

Hurricane2022
Category 4
Category 4

#325 Postby Hurricane2022 » Sun May 12, 2024 3:38 pm

These are the changes observed in the last 80d (Feb - May)
1 likes   
Sorry for the bad English sometimes...!
For reliable and detailed information for any meteorological phenomenon, please consult the National Hurricane Center, Joint Typhoon Warning Center , or your local Meteo Center.

--------

Una cvm Christo, pro Christo, et in Christo. Sit nomen Domini benedictvm.

Yellow Evan
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#326 Postby Yellow Evan » Sun May 12, 2024 9:05 pm

Global mean SSTA anomalies shows a cold tongue off South America extending into the East Pacific, though one could argue that that’s not a great metric to determine when an El Niño ends because the El Niño itself tends to cause global warming. Convective and trade wind patterns haven’t been like El Niño for at least a month.
1 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#327 Postby cycloneye » Mon May 13, 2024 8:26 am

Officially, ENSO is at warm neutral on the weekly update at +0.3C, but the anouncement on the transition from El Niño to Neutral will come on the June 13 update. The ONI is down to +1.1C. LarryWx, how is the data on the RONI?

https://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/ ... ts-web.pdf

2 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars

Hurricane2022
Category 4
Category 4

Re: 2024 ENSO= CPC weekly update= Niño 3.4 down to warm Neutral at +0.3C / La Niña watch in effect

#328 Postby Hurricane2022 » Tue May 14, 2024 4:23 am

0 likes   
Sorry for the bad English sometimes...!
For reliable and detailed information for any meteorological phenomenon, please consult the National Hurricane Center, Joint Typhoon Warning Center , or your local Meteo Center.

--------

Una cvm Christo, pro Christo, et in Christo. Sit nomen Domini benedictvm.

chaser1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: 2024 ENSO Updates= BoM / CPC have La Niña watch in effect

#329 Postby chaser1 » Tue May 14, 2024 2:19 pm

The above graphic/statement does not seem to imply "fast developing" La Nina to me. Not to suggest that it won't occur, just pointing out that by the time that it does come along with the typical downstream pattern impact delay that the extent of impact to the Atlantic Hurricane season might be a bit more muted. Whatever NINA conditions start to evolve (such as decrease in upper-level wind shear perhaps), may result in enhanced favorable conditions that will primarily affect September, October & November development. That is not to say that the upcoming season won't be gangbuster nonetheless but could imply one element that could verify and infer slightly fewer storms then the big numbers broadly forecast. That or, perhaps not as high a ceiling for #'s of hurricanes, or # of majors. The obvious thing that is scary here is when looking back at last year which seemed a clear-cut battle of SST's verses El Nino, 2024 should not have that Godzilla vs King Kong battle of prevailing conditions. A largely neutral ENSO should at minimum suggest a less hostile upper-level wind regime. Whether other unforeseen inhibiting factors crop up such as above average surface pressures, dry mid-level conditions, or lagging early season El Nino upper level shear remain to be seen.
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

JetFuel_SE
Category 1
Category 1

#330 Postby JetFuel_SE » Tue May 14, 2024 3:23 pm

chaser1 wrote:The above graphic/statement does not seem to imply "fast developing" La Nina to me. Not to suggest that it won't occur, just pointing out that by the time that it does come along with the typical downstream pattern impact delay that the extent of impact to the Atlantic Hurricane season might be a bit more muted. Whatever NINA conditions start to evolve (such as decrease in upper-level wind shear perhaps), may result in enhanced favorable conditions that will primarily affect September, October & November development. That is not to say that the upcoming season won't be gangbuster nonetheless but could imply one element that could verify and infer slightly fewer storms then the big numbers broadly forecast. That or, perhaps not as high a ceiling for #'s of hurricanes, or # of majors. The obvious thing that is scary here is when looking back at last year which seemed a clear-cut battle of SST's verses El Nino, 2024 should not have that Godzilla vs King Kong battle of prevailing conditions. A largely neutral ENSO should at minimum suggest a less hostile upper-level wind regime. Whether other unforeseen inhibiting factors crop up such as above average surface pressures, dry mid-level conditions, or lagging early season El Nino upper level shear remain to be seen.

They're basing their statement on their own model, which has a solid degree's worth of warm bias.
3 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#331 Postby cycloneye » Thu May 16, 2024 6:11 pm

La Niña comming very soon.

0 likes   

zzzh
Category 2
Category 2

#332 Postby zzzh » Fri May 17, 2024 11:36 am

1 likes   

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

#333 Postby LarryWx » Fri May 17, 2024 12:02 pm

cycloneye wrote:Officially, ENSO is at warm neutral on the weekly update at +0.3C, but the anouncement on the transition from El Niño to Neutral will come on the June 13 update. The ONI is down to +1.1C. LarryWx, how is the data on the RONI?

https://i.imgur.com/gBYwBvf.jpeg

Luis,
Sorry, I jut saw your question. While FMA ONI was +1.15, FMA RONI was already down to +0.48. Weeklies don't exist for RONI. But based on this FMA difference and assuming the difference is currently similar, an equivalent current RONI weekly would likely be -0.2 to -0.4 (cold neutral).
1 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#334 Postby cycloneye » Fri May 17, 2024 12:06 pm

LarryWx wrote:
cycloneye wrote:Officially, ENSO is at warm neutral on the weekly update at +0.3C, but the anouncement on the transition from El Niño to Neutral will come on the June 13 update. The ONI is down to +1.1C. LarryWx, how is the data on the RONI?

https://i.imgur.com/gBYwBvf.jpeg

Luis,
Sorry, I jut saw your question. While FMA ONI was +1.15, FMA RONI was already down to +0.48. Weeklies don't exist for RONI. But based on this FMA difference and assuming the difference is currently similar, an equivalent current RONI weekly would likely be -0.2 to -0.4 (cold neutral).

Yikes, already at cold neutral. Thanks as always.
2 likes   

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#335 Postby Category5Kaiju » Sat May 18, 2024 12:34 pm

Question: given current trends and historic ENSO behavior, could we safely state yet that this will likely end up being a multi-year La Nina?
0 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

#336 Postby LarryWx » Sat May 18, 2024 1:34 pm

Category5Kaiju wrote:Question: given current trends and historic ENSO behavior, could we safely state yet that this will likely end up being a multi-year La Nina?

6 of the last 8 cases back to the late 1800s of strong+ Nino followed by Niña then had a second Niña. However, only 3 of 12 weak to mod Nino’s (and 0 of 7 mod, alone) followed by Niña had a 2nd Niña. Based on RONI, 23-4 Nino was high end mod.

OTOH, 10 of last 14 Niñas (and 5 of last 6) were 2+ years.
Based on that and stats for Niña followed by Nino, I’m going 75% chance of at least a double Niña coming up.
2 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

NotSparta
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#337 Postby NotSparta » Sat May 18, 2024 4:36 pm

Category5Kaiju wrote:Question: given current trends and historic ENSO behavior, could we safely state yet that this will likely end up being a multi-year La Nina?

Coming out of a super El Nino in a Pacific under the iron grip of -PDO, I imagine La Nina will stick around for 2025
3 likes   
This post was probably an opinion of mine, and in no way is official. Please refer to http://www.hurricanes.gov for official tropical analysis and advisories.

My website, with lots of tropical wx graphics, including satellite and recon: http://cyclonicwx.com

Blown Away
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#338 Postby Blown Away » Sat May 18, 2024 6:57 pm

LarryWx wrote:

6 of the last 8 cases back to the late 1800s of strong+ Nino followed by Niña then had a second Niña. However, only 3 of 12 weak to mod Nino’s (and 0 of 7 mod, alone) followed by Niña had a 2nd Niña. Based on RONI, 23-4 Nino was high end mod.

Based on that and stats for Niña followed by Nino, I’m going 75% chance of at least a double Niña coming up.

Larry, the timing of the cold neutral into hurricane season and likely moderate Nina into ASO seems to significantly increase the chances for a hurricane for NE Caribbean, SE Bahamas, and SFL. Many of the big storms for these areas occurred under a similar setup and the wildcard are these epic SST’s. Don’t you think there is a likelihood of a big impact in these areas??
0 likes   
Hurricane Eye Experience: David 79, Irene 99, Frances 04, Jeanne 04, Wilma 05... EYE COMING MY WAY IN 2024…
Hurricane Brush Experience: Andrew 92, Erin 95, Floyd 99, Matthew 16, Irma 17, Ian 22, Nicole 22…

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

#339 Postby LarryWx » Sat May 18, 2024 10:34 pm

Blown Away wrote:
LarryWx wrote:

Larry, the timing of the cold neutral into hurricane season and likely moderate Nina into ASO seems to significantly increase the chances for a hurricane for NE Caribbean, SE Bahamas, and SFL. Many of the big storms for these areas occurred under a similar setup and the wildcard are these epic SST’s. Don’t you think there is a likelihood of a big impact in these areas??

The research I did was for CONUS landfalls overall. It showed that on RONI basis, the highest risk vs climo for one’s area ON AVG is especially when ASO is -0.5 to -1.0 with closer to avg risk for one’s area when it is already below -1.0. With RONI likely already down to -0.2 to -0.4 and with Aug still 2.5 months away, the odds favor below -1.0 for ASO or thus close to avg risk for CONUS landfalls overall.

Out of curiosity to see if there was a suggestion of an agreement with this finding, I decided to look at CONUS precip anomalies map for ASO for seasons with ASO RONI -0.5 to -1.0 vs seasons with sub -1.0:

Here’s precip anomalies for ASO RONI -0.5 to -1.0:

https://psl.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/data/uscli ... reate+Plot

Notice that the wettest anomalies are concentrated from FL peninsula up the E coast with dry to the west of the wetness stretching from TX to the N and NE

Now, here’s precip anomalies for ASO RONI sub -1.0:

https://psl.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/data/uscli ... reate+Plot

Notice that the wettest anomalies go from FL Panhandle westward to SE 1/3 of TX with the dryness further west in W/NW TX N to NB and W into SW US. The FL pen and up E seaboard averages out NN.

So, these maps suggest the tendency for storms to move into the FL pen and/or go up the E coast (i.e., some recurvature tendency near the E coast) for ASO RONI -0.5 to -1.0 vs tendency of further W most active storm track N or NW into Gulf coast with subsequent N movement inland for ASO RONI sub -1.0.

Interesting! This seems to imply the mean steering high is centered further west and/or stronger when La Niña is stronger during ASO. Does this make sense?

RONI: https://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/data/indi ... .ascii.txt

*Edited for modifications
4 likes   

dexterlabio
Category 5
Category 5

#340 Postby dexterlabio » Sun May 19, 2024 12:52 am

The last moderate-strong El Niño during -PDO was followed by a double dip La Niña and two cold neutral years. If I have to bet, La Niña/cold neutral will stay for quite a while, until the next potent El Niño (say 4-5 years from now) attempts to flip the PDO positive.
1 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”