Oh, Baby It's Cold Inside, Canadian Town Loses Heat

Weather events from around the world plus Astronomy and Geology and other Natural events.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
senorpepr
Military Met/Moderator
Military Met/Moderator

Oh, Baby It's Cold Inside, Canadian Town Loses Heat

#1 Postby senorpepr » Fri Jan 30, 2004 2:13 am

WINNIPEG, Manitoba (Reuters) - What happens when it's -40 C outside and the heat goes off? Residents in the small Canadian town of Stonewall, Manitoba, found out on Thursday morning after natural gas stopped flowing to the town's more than 1,500 homes and business overnight, leaving them without heat as the wind chill hit a bone-numbing -52 C.

"I think it's going to be more than a three-dog night tonight," Ross Thompson, mayor of Stonewall, told CBC Radio.

Emergency officials quickly moved patients from the town's small hospital to heated hospitals in nearby towns, and were helping people find ways to stay warm, he said.

"Nobody's really panicking," Thompson said.

Natural gas supplier Manitoba Hydro said it didn't know the reason for the gas disruption but expected to start relighting furnace pilot lights on Thursday afternoon.

It advised residents to use electric heaters, wood fireplaces and even electric ovens to stay warm and keep their water pipes from freezing.

"I'm running the water, and my wife won't have any dishes to do when she gets home, because I've had the dishwater going all morning," Stonewall resident Gerry Holmstrom said.
0 likes   

Return to “Global Weather”