Global Warming Threatens Mass Extinctions -Study

Weather events from around the world plus Astronomy and Geology and other Natural events.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
senorpepr
Military Met/Moderator
Military Met/Moderator

Global Warming Threatens Mass Extinctions -Study

#1 Postby senorpepr » Wed Jan 07, 2004 8:34 pm

OSLO (Reuters) - Global warming could wipe out a quarter of all species of plants and animals on earth by 2050 in one of the biggest mass extinctions since the dinosaurs, according to an international study.

The United Nations said the report, highlighting threats to creatures ranging from Australian butterflies to Spanish eagles, showed a need for the world to back the Kyoto protocol, meant to brake rising temperatures linked to human pollution.

"A quarter of all species of plants and land animals, or more than a million in all, could be driven to extinction," said Chris Thomas, professor of Conservation Biology at England's University of Leeds.

Thomas, lead author of the study published in the science journal Nature, told Reuters that emissions from cars and factories could push temperatures up to levels not seen for one million to 30 million years by the end of the century, threatening many habitats.

The survey, the largest of its kind to date, studied global warming links to 1,103 species of plants, mammals, birds, reptiles, frogs and insects in South Africa, Brazil, Europe, Australia, Mexico and Costa Rica and extrapolated findings as far as 2050. It did not examine the oceans.

"Climate change is the biggest new extinction threat," said Lee Hannah, a co-author, at Conservation International in Washington DC. Many species would simply be unable to adapt or migrate to new habitats.

Thomas said the feared extinctions could be one of the worst since the dinosaurs were wiped out 65 million years ago. "This could be on a par with some of the geologically significant extinctions," he said.

DRAGONS, CROSSBILLS

Species under threat include many types of tree in the Amazon, the Spanish Imperial eagle and Boyd's forest dragon lizard in Australia. Birds like the Scottish crossbill could probably survive if only they knew to fly to Iceland.

U.N. studies project that global temperatures will rise by 1.4-5.8 degrees Celsius (3-12 F) by 2100, mainly because of human emissions of gases like carbon dioxide. Rising temperatures may spur more extreme weather like floods, heatwaves and tornadoes.

Thomas noted that some scientists argue that species have adapted to rapid climate change before -- as in a warming after the last Ice Age. But he said that humans had now taken over much of the planet, adding to pressures this time round.

Klaus Toepfer, the head of the U.N. Environment Program, said the report showed that extinctions could hit billions of people, mainly in the Third World who rely on nature for food, shelter and medicines.

"This alarming report underlines again to the world the importance of bringing into force the Kyoto Protocol," he said.

Kyoto, which would rein in emissions of carbon dioxide, needs countries representing emissions of 55 percent of carbon dioxide to enter into force.

It has so far mustered 44 percent and cannot reach 55 without Russia's 17 percent, after the United States pulled out its 36 percent share in 2001, arguing it was too expensive and wrongly excluded poor nations. Moscow says it is undecided.

Thomas said the study estimated that 15-37 percent of all species could be pushed to extinction as a result of climate change to 2050 with a central assumption of about 24 percent. He urged a shift to new, cleaner energy technologies.
0 likes   

JCT777
Category 5
Category 5

#2 Postby JCT777 » Thu Jan 08, 2004 10:10 am

While I do think it is a great idea to have cleaner energy technologies, I think most of what I have heard about the alleged "Global Warming" is complete bunk. I believe the earth goes through natural cycles of warm and cool, and who is to say that most, if not all, of the earth's temperature rise is not attributable to a warmer cycle?
0 likes   

senorpepr
Military Met/Moderator
Military Met/Moderator

#3 Postby senorpepr » Thu Jan 08, 2004 7:59 pm

You know, I completely agree. There really isn't a "down-side" to a cleaner earth. However, I'm not positive polution is the main cause for global warning. The earth does goes in cycles. Who knows... we may be warming up for a while?
0 likes   

#4 Postby Guest » Thu Jan 08, 2004 8:33 pm

Diddo! I think it is just a scare tactic by those environmental wackos out there. Yes, I do believe it is smart to take care of our planet. BUT... I do think that climate changes are pretty much natural.

It was told to me once that back in biblical times temperatures were quite high overall. DId they have cars then...? Nope!
0 likes   

senorpepr
Military Met/Moderator
Military Met/Moderator

#5 Postby senorpepr » Thu Jan 08, 2004 8:42 pm

NEWeatherguy wrote:environmental wackos

Well put. :D :D :D
0 likes   

weatherfan
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#6 Postby weatherfan » Tue Jan 13, 2004 5:44 pm

The thing about global warming and climate change is that no one agrees amonges each other.One thing we can all agree on is that Earth has warmed.But what many experts and forecasters and climate experts don't agree on is the caused and why.Some thinks Man is the causes.Other think its a Nature cycle that are Plantent gos through.And then there are some who beleaves that we are in the mist of major global cooling.It has accually been a proven fact reather you agree with it or not.That climate has changed in a matter of a Decade as past ice ages and major warm periods has shown us.Robert Fixlex is one of those that comes to mind and many like him.My opinion is that none of us knows the real anwers in the furture and long term furture of our Climate.We may guess and spekalate on what possabley could happen but the truth is.Its all guesses at this point and only the furture Nature knows what happens in the long term fruture of our climate.And its the large part on why we have the big debate on climate change and Global warming because we can't agree amongs our selfs about the furture of the outcome of the climate.
0 likes   

senorpepr
Military Met/Moderator
Military Met/Moderator

#7 Postby senorpepr » Tue Jan 13, 2004 10:42 pm

Very true... only time will tell.
0 likes   

Return to “Global Weather”