CNN Meteorologist: Manmade Global Warming Theory 'Arrogant'

Weather events from around the world plus Astronomy and Geology and other Natural events.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
jasons2k
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#1 Postby jasons2k » Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:16 am

What gets me is the very last sentence of the article. WHAT? What caused that to happen overnight? Hmmmmmmm.
Network's second meteorologist to challenge notion man can alter climate.

By Jeff Poor
Business & Media Institute
12/18/2008 11:02:44 PM
Unprecedented snow in Las Vegas has some scratching their heads – how can there be global warming with this unusual cold and snowy weather?

CNN Meteorologist Chad Myers had never bought into the notion that man can alter the climate and the Vegas snowstorm didn’t impact his opinion. Myers, an American Meteorological Society certified meteorologist, explained on CNN’s Dec. 18 “Lou Dobbs Tonight” that the whole idea is arrogant and mankind was in danger of dying from other natural events more so than global warming.

“You know, to think that we could affect weather all that much is pretty arrogant,” Myers said. “Mother Nature is so big, the world is so big, the oceans are so big – I think we’re going to die from a lack of fresh water or we’re going to die from ocean acidification before we die from global warming, for sure.”

Myers is the second CNN meteorologist to challenge the global warming conventions common in the media. He also said trying to determine patterns occurring in the climate would be difficult based on such a short span.

“But this is like, you know you said – in your career – my career has been 22 years long,” Myers said. “That’s a good career in TV, but talking about climate – it’s like having a car for three days and saying, ‘This is a great car.’ Well, yeah – it was for three days, but maybe in days five, six and seven it won’t be so good. And that’s what we’re doing here.”

“We have 100 years worth of data, not millions of years that the world’s been around,” Myers continued.

Dr. Jay Lehr, an expert on environmental policy, told “Lou Dobbs Tonight” viewers you can detect subtle patterns over recorded history, but that dates back to the 13th Century.

“If we go back really, in recorded human history, in the 13th Century, we were probably 7 degrees Fahrenheit warmer than we are now and it was a very prosperous time for mankind,” Lehr said. “If go back to the Revolutionary War 300 years ago, it was very, very cold. We’ve been warming out of that cold spell from the Revolutionary War period and now we’re back into a cooling cycle.”

Lehr suggested the earth is presently entering a cooling cycle – a result of nature, not man.

“The last 10 years have been quite cool,” Lehr continued. “And right now, I think we’re going into cooling rather than warming and that should be a much greater concern for humankind. But, all we can do is adapt. It is the sun that does it, not man.”

Lehr is a senior fellow and science director of The Heartland Institute, an organization that will be holding the 2009 International Conference on Climate Change in New York March 8-10.

Another CNN meteorologist attacked the concept that man is somehow responsible for changes in climate last year. Rob Marciano charged Al Gore’s 2006 movie, “An Inconvenient Truth,” had some inaccuracies.

“There are definitely some inaccuracies,” Marciano said during the Oct. 4, 2007 broadcast of CNN’s “American Morning.” “The biggest thing I have a problem with is this implication that Katrina was caused by global warming.”

Marciano also said that, “global warming does not conclusively cause stronger hurricanes like we’ve seen,” pointing out that “by the end of this century we might get about a 5 percent increase.”

His comments drew a strong response and he recanted the next day saying “the globe is getting warmer and humans are the likely the main cause of it.”

http://businessandmedia.org/articles/20 ... 05953.aspx
0 likes   

HURAKAN
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#2 Postby HURAKAN » Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:50 am

It's a common misconception that a warmer world would mean warmer summers and warmer winters. It's not like that. More moisture in the atmosphere will likely cause more snow in places that usually see snow and in places that not always see snow, but they do see it from time to time. It's not completely a surprise to see snow in Las Vegas.

NWS Las Vegas: "DECEMBER 2008 WILL NOW RANK AS THE 6TH SNOWIEST MONTH EVER IN LAS VEGAS SINCE 1937."

Link: http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/total_forecast/ ... ef&pil=rer
0 likes   

x-y-no
Category 5
Category 5

#3 Postby x-y-no » Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:42 am

“You know, to think that we could affect weather all that much is pretty arrogant,” Myers said. “Mother Nature is so big, the world is so big, the oceans are so big – I think we’re going to die from a lack of fresh water or we’re going to die from ocean acidification before we die from global warming, for sure.”

Huh?? Does he not understand that the ocean acidification we are observing is caused by the very same fossil carbon that's the primary driver of AGW? How can he argue in the same breath that nature is too big for us to affect climate but not so big that we can't affect oceanic PH?
0 likes   

Sanibel
Category 5
Category 5

Re: CNN Meteorologist: Manmade Global Warming Theory 'Arrogant'

#4 Postby Sanibel » Fri Dec 26, 2008 1:04 am

He'll have his job for a long time.

I saw that piece. It was so devoid of any actual global warming information that it serves as an indictment of itself. The public is being conditioned to this subject (on CNN) on a second grader simplistic level and Lou's piece was a perfect example. I believe the method is political rather than scientific.

He wasn't necessarily saying the acidification wasn't caused by carbon input. Understand CNN has no contract anywhere with you to provide anything other than what it calls "news". The piece was simply a fluff piece on snow in Las Vegas without committing to anything.

I doubt calling interest in global warming "arrogant" changes any of the recorded effects caused by global warming. To me it is just an opportunity for people eager to see negative things said about it.
0 likes   

Tampa Bay Hurricane
Category 5
Category 5

#5 Postby Tampa Bay Hurricane » Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:16 am

Edit: November 28, 2009: Some of my comments here were, in my opinion, inappropriate
----------------

The CNN Meterologist is Wrong.
Numerous glaciers on multiple continents are melting world-wide,
and carbon dioxide is being emitted at rates much higher
than ever before- in the last 650,000 years--> This is proof
of Man-Made Global Warming. Those people impacted by
the sudden changes, as well as educated climatologists would find his characterization of the
theory as "arrogant" to be utterly preposterous or delusional.
Last edited by Tampa Bay Hurricane on Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

Sanibel
Category 5
Category 5

#6 Postby Sanibel » Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:14 am

There's 55 degree readings in Billings Montana on February 3rd. That's warm!

I suggest Chad the CNN meteorologist not travel to Melbourne, Australia soon and say anything about global warming arrogance since they are currently experiencing a record 3 day 110 degree heat wave they are crediting to global warming.

It's foolish to knee-jerk comments about global warming because amplitude disturbs the atmosphere and sends unseasonable snows to Las Vegas.
0 likes   

Tampa Bay Hurricane
Category 5
Category 5

#7 Postby Tampa Bay Hurricane » Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:07 am

I invite the meteorologist to visit the cities in Alaska, Africa,
and Asia along glaciers and see what the locals there say
about the record glacier ice loss... I have a feeling those
towns people would have quite a bit of experienced proof
debunking the skeptic pestilence (to use the terminology
someone used against the evidence of global warming).
0 likes   

caneman

#8 Postby caneman » Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:14 am

jasons wrote:What gets me is the very last sentence of the article. WHAT? What caused that to happen overnight? Hmmmmmmm.
Network's second meteorologist to challenge notion man can alter climate.

By Jeff Poor
Business & Media Institute
12/18/2008 11:02:44 PM
Unprecedented snow in Las Vegas has some scratching their heads – how can there be global warming with this unusual cold and snowy weather?

CNN Meteorologist Chad Myers had never bought into the notion that man can alter the climate and the Vegas snowstorm didn’t impact his opinion. Myers, an American Meteorological Society certified meteorologist, explained on CNN’s Dec. 18 “Lou Dobbs Tonight” that the whole idea is arrogant and mankind was in danger of dying from other natural events more so than global warming.

Myers is the second CNN meteorologist to challenge the global warming conventions common in the media. He also said trying to determine patterns occurring in the climate would be difficult based on such a short span.

“But this is like, you know you said – in your career – my career has been 22 years long,” Myers said. “That’s a good career in TV, but talking about climate – it’s like having a car for three days and saying, ‘This is a great car.’ Well, yeah – it was for three days, but maybe in days five, six and seven it won’t be so good. And that’s what we’re doing here.”

“We have 100 years worth of data, not millions of years that the world’s been around,” Myers continued.

Dr. Jay Lehr, an expert on environmental policy, told “Lou Dobbs Tonight” viewers you can detect subtle patterns over recorded history, but that dates back to the 13th Century.

“If we go back really, in recorded human history, in the 13th Century, we were probably 7 degrees Fahrenheit warmer than we are now and it was a very prosperous time for mankind,” Lehr said. “If go back to the Revolutionary War 300 years ago, it was very, very cold. We’ve been warming out of that cold spell from the Revolutionary War period and now we’re back into a cooling cycle.”

Lehr suggested the earth is presently entering a cooling cycle – a result of nature, not man.

“The last 10 years have been quite cool,” Lehr continued. “And right now, I think we’re going into cooling rather than warming and that should be a much greater concern for humankind. But, all we can do is adapt. It is the sun that does it, not man.”

Lehr is a senior fellow and science director of The Heartland Institute, an organization that will be holding the 2009 International Conference on Climate Change in New York March 8-10.

Another CNN meteorologist attacked the concept that man is somehow responsible for changes in climate last year. Rob Marciano charged Al Gore’s 2006 movie, “An Inconvenient Truth,” had some inaccuracies.

“There are definitely some inaccuracies,” Marciano said during the Oct. 4, 2007 broadcast of CNN’s “American Morning.” “The biggest thing I have a problem with is this implication that Katrina was caused by global warming.”

Marciano also said that, “global warming does not conclusively cause stronger hurricanes like we’ve seen,” pointing out that “by the end of this century we might get about a 5 percent increase.”

His comments drew a strong response and he recanted the next day saying “the globe is getting warmer and humans are the likely the main cause of it.”

http://businessandmedia.org/articles/20 ... 05953.aspx

Many meteoroligsts have taken this stance (against GW), only to be condemned, threatened with their jobs, ostracized, etc.... Many to the point of silence. This type of stong arm tactic is far to common in this debate. NOt a political statement as there are plenty of cases to support this. Their are ample stories on the internet that bear out what happens to the critics.
Last edited by caneman on Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

Tampa Bay Hurricane
Category 5
Category 5

#9 Postby Tampa Bay Hurricane » Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:52 pm

I understand the skeptic point of view...as earth does have climate cycles...
I just think the current rate of glacial melting is scary...faster than other ice/warm
cycles accoridng to the vostok ice sampling dating...also the idea of
stronger hurricanes is scary especially in hurricane alley...there are natural
cycles but something we put into the air is making it accelerate towards
the warmer side
0 likes   

caneman

Re:

#10 Postby caneman » Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:19 pm

Tampa Bay Hurricane wrote:I understand the skeptic point of view...as earth does have climate cycles...
I just think the current rate of glacial melting is scary...faster than other ice/warm
cycles accoridng to the vostok ice sampling dating...also the idea of
stronger hurricanes is scary especially in hurricane alley...there are natural
cycles but something we put into the air is making it accelerate towards
the warmer side

It's nice to have a civilized conversation. Look back in history and you will see many periods or significant warming and cooling. In fact the large snake that was just found in South America, scientists have stated that the temperature then would have had to have been at least 5 degrees warmer than it is now to support it. If we want to argue short periords of time, then I'll go on record and say that with how cold the last 2 years have been that we're on track for an ice age. It's all cyclical baby.
0 likes   

Tampa Bay Hurricane
Category 5
Category 5

#11 Postby Tampa Bay Hurricane » Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:30 pm

As a lover of extreme weather...I kinda wish I could live at a point when
we go suddenly from one phase to another...like current state
to an ice age...be bad for humanity and me (I'd get a bad cold) but it would be pretty awesome to see...and if the arctic became tropical...that would be awesome
to see too...if one day technology controls the weather...we could
designate one portion the extreme weather sports area just like
they do with skateboard parks...and storm chasers could see the extreme
beyond their wildest dreams- this will probably never happen...but they did it
when they created the Ice Exhibit in 2004 in Florida in Orlando- it was a wild
9 degrees Fahrenheit in there...
0 likes   

Tampa Bay Hurricane
Category 5
Category 5

#12 Postby Tampa Bay Hurricane » Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:41 pm

Some of the temperature records indicate a pure cyclical pattern, but the very last
one shows a warm spike. On further inspection, the last one is for just the past
2000 years.

0 likes   

Sanibel
Category 5
Category 5

#13 Postby Sanibel » Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:17 am

It's all cyclical baby.

But that is just arguing the short and long samples. I think the current relative period is somewhere in between and involves the relationship between CO2 levels and potential climate change in relation to human populations their vulnerability.
0 likes   

MGC
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#14 Postby MGC » Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:07 pm

It is all about solar output....The glaciers up in Alaska have been melting since the end of the Little Ice Age......MGC
0 likes   

caneman

#15 Postby caneman » Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:13 am

Sanibel wrote:
It's all cyclical baby.

But that is just arguing the short and long samples. I think the current relative period is somewhere in between and involves the relationship between CO2 levels and potential climate change in relation to human populations their vulnerability.

While there may be some truth to that. There is ample evidence to argue cyclical warming and cooling and certainly doesn't merit alarmist, sky is falling, come with us reporting or else.
0 likes   

caneman

#16 Postby caneman » Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:15 am

MGC wrote:It is all about solar output....The glaciers up in Alaska have been melting since the end of the Little Ice Age......MGC

I agree with you on this. Last report I saw is that they are coming back in the last couple of years and I believe we've had a couple of back to back very cold winters. Don't be surprised if you see in 10 years some alarmists reporting of an ice age coming.
0 likes   

Tampa Bay Hurricane
Category 5
Category 5

#17 Postby Tampa Bay Hurricane » Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:27 pm

Interesting to note that the cycles throughout earth's history
show just normal earth cycles for the past 500,000 years...
but some chemical reactions can worsen weather events...
such as setting fire to a forest during a drought...I think that is
the part of climate that is subject to human "influence"...though I don't think
humans could turn an ice age into a warm period unless they set
huge portions of a continent on fire...thank goodness most
humans are not pyromaniacs...

Also according to the charts I posted above:

Global Warming would have to have a global temperature of 3.0 degrees Celsius
above normal to be record warmth for the last 500,000 years. I don't know
the current statistic...
0 likes   

Sanibel
Category 5
Category 5

#18 Postby Sanibel » Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:33 pm

So why then did Australia have record-setting prolonged 118 degree heat during a cooling solar cycle?
0 likes   

Sanibel
Category 5
Category 5

#19 Postby Sanibel » Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:36 pm

It is all about solar output....The glaciers up in Alaska have been melting since the end of the Little Ice Age......MGC

I don't think this is accurate. Glacier decline has happened exponentially during this latest warming period of the last few decades.
0 likes   

MGC
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#20 Postby MGC » Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:11 pm

Never said the melting was linear and it could increase in the future. Perhaps Greenland will be able to support farming again in the future before the cold returns.....MGC
0 likes   

Return to “Global Weather”