Severe Winter Storm for UK

Weather events from around the world plus Astronomy and Geology and other Natural events.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
ChaserUK
Category 2
Category 2

Severe Winter Storm for UK

#1 Postby ChaserUK » Sun Jan 11, 2004 8:19 pm

Hello all. It looks like the UK is set for possible 100mph winds during the next 12 hours. I am located in Jersey, Channel Islands on the beach front facing the SW and expect to get the full force of this storm. Winds have started to increase already and there are some major warnings out for this storm such as:

Here is an ADVANCED WARNING of Severe Gales and Heavy Rain affecting Scotland, Northern Ireland, England and Wales.
Issued by the Met Office at 10:21 on Sunday, 11 January 2004.
This is a second update to the warning of disruption due to Severe Gales and Heavy Rain issued at 0900 on Friday 9th January

The Met Office is expecting one or two intense depressions to cross the Atlantic during the next few days. The main risk period, for the first storm, is Monday, with a second (possible) storm posing a lower but significant risk for Tuesday and early Wednesday.
The storm on Monday is likely to bring severe gales, with inland gusts of order 70mph across the south of the UK, and at the same time produce copious amounts of rain – totals of order 25-40mm – across southern and some central parts of the UK. These events would bring down trees, cause some structural damage, disrupt transport and lead to some localised flooding. Probability ratings for these events are as stated above. The storm is most likely to arrive during the daytime. Snowfall may be an added hazard for upland central parts of the UK.
For the storm on Monday there is also a lower risk, ranging from 20% in SW England, to 40% in SE England, and 10% or less over Northern and Central parts of the UK, that extremely damaging inland gusts of order 90mph will develop as this storm system passes through. This is exceptional, and would cause widespread disruption to transport and significant danger to life.This warning will be updated at around 0900 tomorrow, Monday 12th January 2004, unless superseded by the issue of flash messages.
For enquiries regarding this warning - please contact your regional Met Office.
Transmitted by the Met Office at 10:21 on Sunday 11 January

For enquiries regarding this warning - please contact your regional Met Office. Transmitted by the Met Office at 10:17 on Sunday 11 January

I have set up a page linked to my website showing my webcam and data from my weather station if you want to see what a nasty North Atlantic Winter Storm looks like! We also have a high tide of 30ft at 09.09 local time.

http://www.net-weather.co.uk/forum/view ... 4414#54414

Regards

ChaserUK
0 likes   

Rainband

#2 Postby Rainband » Sun Jan 11, 2004 8:35 pm

Wow... Stay safe!!! Keep us posted. You and all of the area will be in my prayers :)
0 likes   

ChaserUK
Category 2
Category 2

#3 Postby ChaserUK » Sun Jan 11, 2004 8:38 pm

Hi Rainband and thanks! It's odd really. After all the excitement of Izzy this has come as a surprise. We also had a big waterspout in Bristol today, on all channels even! In addition, marble sized hail and blizzards. We have a jet of >170knts at the moment which is to blame for all of this.
0 likes   

tropicana
Category 5
Category 5

report on that waterspout in bristol

#4 Postby tropicana » Sun Jan 11, 2004 9:18 pm

REPORT ON THAT WATERSPOUT IN BRISTOL

Storms Set to Batter Britain
Sun Jan 11 2004

By PA News Reporters

Severe storms were set to batter parts of Britain Monday with torrential rain and winds of up to 90mph, forecasters warned tonight.

The weather was expected to cause flooding and structural damage as it sweeps across southern England.

Jeremy Plester, from the PA WeatherCentre, said: “We are looking at very strong winds in the south of the country, with gusts of about 70mph going up to 80 or 90mph.

“The south west, Devon and Cornwall, will probably get the worst of it. We are also going to see some torrential rain in Wales, the Midlands and East Anglia with an increased likelihood of flooding in those areas. It could be pretty nasty.”

The storm is expected to hit the south west coast at about 6am and make its way eastwards across the country during the day.

The Environment Agency tonight had 26 flood watch warnings in place, 15 in the south west, four in the Thames region, three in Wales, two in the Anglian region and two in the South.

Meanwhile, people watched as a tornado measuring hundreds of feet whizzed along the Bristol Channel during a storm Sunday.

Self-employed businessman Nigel Evans spotted the freak weather phenomenon from the window of his home on Barry Island in south Wales.

He rushed out to see the tornado lift sea spray 50ft into the air as it whipped up Bristol Channel.

He said: “There was a couple of bits of thunder and lightning so I went to the window, looked outside and saw a tornado just touching down in the channel.

“I ran out to the car and saw it travel up the channel.”

Mr Evans, 33, said: “It came hundreds of feet in the air carrying the spray up to probably 50ft off the sea. Some people said it travelled for around 20 minutes.”

The tornado, which passed at around 2pm, then went out of sight towards Bristol.

An expert said seeing a tornado in the UK was “relatively unusual”.

Paul Knightley, from PA WeatherCentre, said there were some 33 tornados each year in the UK but they usually occurred in the autumn when sea water is warmer.

He said: “It is quite unusual for people to see them, especially at this time of year.”

Warmer temperatures in the Bristol Channel and the fact it is surrounded by high hills enhances the likelihood of tornados there.

-justin-
0 likes   

Rainband

#5 Postby Rainband » Sun Jan 11, 2004 9:28 pm

Thanks for the update Justin. Chaser don't chase this one :wink: Stay inside and be safe :)
0 likes   

ChaserUK
Category 2
Category 2

#6 Postby ChaserUK » Sun Jan 11, 2004 9:34 pm

Thanks Guys! Latest weather update indicates this will be a nasty event for the UK. Looks like forecasts are accurate although the track of this storm is a tad unpredictible. Needless to say, down here in the middle of the English Channel I am in for a serious battering! Make sure you check my webcam at first light. I intend to stay up as long as I can!!!
0 likes   

ChaserUK
Category 2
Category 2

#7 Postby ChaserUK » Sun Jan 11, 2004 9:49 pm

I guess the thing to remember is the winds from this will be as strong as Izzy at VA Beach!!!! OMG - this is gonna be bad!
0 likes   

weatherlover427

#8 Postby weatherlover427 » Mon Jan 12, 2004 12:58 am

Eek 90 MPH winds in the UK will cause some major damage!! :o Not good. Stay safe and provide us with updates while you can keep your power!
0 likes   

ChaserUK
Category 2
Category 2

#9 Postby ChaserUK » Mon Jan 12, 2004 1:25 am

still got power - pressure trend touched -4.0mb per hour for a while. Up to -3.8mb per hour. Storm not far away now. Keep you updated!
0 likes   

ChaserUK
Category 2
Category 2

#10 Postby ChaserUK » Mon Jan 12, 2004 2:04 am

pressure trend now -4.3mb per hour - winds expected within the next few hours
0 likes   

weatherlover427

#11 Postby weatherlover427 » Mon Jan 12, 2004 3:03 am

Drats, your weather station isn't showing up. :( The anemometer looks like it's spinning very fast. :o Hope you stay safe!
0 likes   

JCT777
Category 5
Category 5

#12 Postby JCT777 » Mon Jan 12, 2004 10:55 am

Stay safe, ChaserUK. And let us know how things go.
0 likes   

Rainband

#13 Postby Rainband » Mon Jan 12, 2004 1:19 pm

Let us know how you are ChaserUK.
0 likes   

ChaserUK
Category 2
Category 2

#14 Postby ChaserUK » Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:21 pm

Hello everyone! Well I stayed up all night but the storm did two things it should not have done. One, it did not intensify like some of the models predicted and two, it stayed further south than initially thought. All in all it was a lucky escape actually because if it did hit with the full intensity that was forecast then it would have been a destructive event. We have gales forecast for tomorrow and for Thursday we we do have something to keep an eye on in any case. Thank you for all your concerns!

Warm Regards

Chaser
0 likes   

Rainband

#15 Postby Rainband » Tue Jan 13, 2004 5:48 pm

Glad you are ok and it wasn't as bad as it could have been :)
0 likes   

ChaserUK
Category 2
Category 2

#16 Postby ChaserUK » Thu Jan 15, 2004 7:47 pm

Hi Guys!

Yes all OK this side of the pond. We keep getting LP systems crossing the UK every 12/ 24 hours or so but nothing too bad at the moment. Some snow fell in parts yesterday and today but nothing major. A nice Atlantic storm current tracking over Ireland. Moving Se and increasing that pressure gradient on its southern flank so I could be in for a battering tonight but will let you know tomorrow.

Take Care All!

Matthew.
0 likes   

TexasStooge
Category 5
Category 5

#17 Postby TexasStooge » Fri Jan 16, 2004 12:44 pm

100MPH in the UK? WOW!!

The fastest wind speed here is about 85 MPH in a severe storm. Glad you're OK.
0 likes   
Weather Enthusiast since 1991.
- Facebook
- Twitter

Return to “Global Weather”