Hundreds see fireballs fall from sky in Spain

Weather events from around the world plus Astronomy and Geology and other Natural events.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
senorpepr
Military Met/Moderator
Military Met/Moderator

Hundreds see fireballs fall from sky in Spain

#1 Postby senorpepr » Mon Jan 05, 2004 8:21 pm

MADRID - Hundreds of witnesses reported seeing fireballs cross the skies of northern Spain on Sunday in what authorities said may have been a disintegrating meteorite, Spanish radio said.

The bright flashes were spotted in a swathe across the northern half of Spain, from the eastern city of Valencia to the northwestern pilgrimage site of Santiago de Compostela.

In some cases, objects were reported to have fallen to earth.
"I left the house at around 12 minutes to six. I heard a big explosion, like an earth tremor, and a white cloud of smoke formed around a nearby mountain which took a long time to disappear," a local official from the northern region of Palencia told the radio.

Civil Guard officials told the radio an object had plunged from the skies in the northern province of Leon.
Radio Netherlands reported balls of fire have been observed in the night skies over many areas. The phenomenon occurred from Galicia in the northwest to the Balearic Islands in the east of the country. It reportedly was a large meteorite falling apart after entering the earth's atmosphere

Last Friday, a meteorite fell into northern Iran damaging several homes.
A meteorite hit northern Iran on Jan 2nd causing minor damage to property but there were no immediate reports of casualties, state radio has said.

It said the impact sent locals in panic onto the streets in the northern town of Babol in Mazandaran province.
"A meteorite which hit Babol on Friday morning caused only some minor damage to residential units," radio said, without giving further details or citing any source.

It said the impact was felt up to one kilometer away.
0 likes   

ColdFront77

#2 Postby ColdFront77 » Mon Jan 05, 2004 8:32 pm

This was posted in the off topic forum, too: Meteorite hits Iran
0 likes   

senorpepr
Military Met/Moderator
Military Met/Moderator

#3 Postby senorpepr » Tue Jan 06, 2004 5:29 am

Oops... my apoligies.
0 likes   

ColdFront77