Texas Spring 2024

U.S. & Caribbean Weather Discussions and Severe Weather Events

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
Edwards Limestone
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Texas Spring 2024

#641 Postby Edwards Limestone » Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:12 pm

Per usual, congrats to our DFW/NTX guys. Houston and East TX will get even more tonight. Glad someone is getting it.

I’m done trusting any 3-5 day forecasts down here- I think the global models really struggle with lack of sufficient upper air data in the eastern Mexican highlands, something that must play a large role in our rainfall totals and weather.

We’ve got some nice drizzle on tap though.
2 likes   
The above post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

WacoWx
Category 2
Category 2

#642 Postby WacoWx » Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:00 pm

gpsnowman wrote:
WacoWx wrote:We have an outdoor party to attend at 4:00

Ummmm I have some news for you...... :D

Oh no, it’s happening. Let’s hope my golf gear is actually waterproof.
2 likes   

bubba hotep
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#643 Postby bubba hotep » Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:31 pm

Love Field is making a run at 4" and has also broken the daily record.
0 likes   
Winter time post are almost exclusively focused on the DFW area.

ElectricStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#644 Postby ElectricStorm » Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:52 pm

Massive disappointment in the rain department today with almost all of it being south of here :(

Parts of OK are now starting to enter a drought, which is not great considering we're about to move into summer pretty soon. I'm also noticing the increasing drought over the EML source region which makes me wonder if some of these potential severe weather setups in about a week or so could end up having capping issues. Not super impressed with 4/25 right now (Day 6 15%) but 4/26-29 could be a little more interesting IMO. Something to watch but I'm not concerned yet
0 likes   
I am in no way a professional. Take what I say with a grain of salt as I could be totally wrong. Please refer to the NHC, NWS, or SPC for official information.

Boomer Sooner!

mmmmsnouts
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#645 Postby mmmmsnouts » Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:08 pm

Power still out because Oncor can't come out and restore it with new storms popping up right after the last one moves through. :grr:
0 likes   

Anti-freeze
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#646 Postby Anti-freeze » Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:23 pm

Gotwood wrote:
WacoWx wrote:DFW looks to be setting up for some flash flooding according to radar trends.

One of the more relaxing days I can remember love a cool rainy day.

I love a rainy night
0 likes   

South Texas Storms
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#647 Postby South Texas Storms » Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:09 pm

Edwards Limestone wrote:Per usual, congrats to our DFW/NTX guys. Houston and East TX will get even more tonight. Glad someone is getting it.

I’m done trusting any 3-5 day forecasts down here- I think the global models really struggle with lack of sufficient upper air data in the eastern Mexican highlands, something that must play a large role in our rainfall totals and weather.

Very disappointing to see this pattern repeat itself once again. North TX seems to be cashing in more than normal lately leaving south/central TX high and dry. Wish we could win the rain lottery every once in a while...
2 likes   

txtwister78
Category 5
Category 5

#648 Postby txtwister78 » Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:20 pm

Edwards Limestone wrote:Per usual, congrats to our DFW/NTX guys. Houston and East TX will get even more tonight. Glad someone is getting it.

I 've always thought and mentioned on this forum before that one of the toughest regions to forecast accurately is down across South Central Texas for the reasons you stated among others.

Having said that however, I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure DFW missed out a week ago on the rain for the most part which was much advertised via the global models then (i.e. DFW under flash flood watch and yet got very little). While useful tools of course, we know that using globals to predict accuracy for one's own backyard can be extremely risky.

Short range models have always been my preference because they handle the atmospheric dynamics better for these individual setups which often can make or break who gets what, how much and where. In terms of the severe weather season, tracking outflow boundaries, frontal progress/drylines positions etc can vary in real-time and so globals often play catch up once you're within that 24 hour to day of/real-time window.

In terms of the weather down here, our timeframe for a higher probability of rain today was always greatest early evening and so let's see what happens. Radar starting to pop a bit out west. Fingers crossed you cash in on something. I get the frustration. We need to cash in some more before getting into a summer/La Nina pattern. Pattern going into May still looks promising as well so that's encouraging.
3 likes   

rwfromkansas
Category 5
Category 5

#649 Postby rwfromkansas » Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:33 pm

DFW got screwed last week as well and several other events, but I will say yes, S TX has been getting the worst of the busts.

Hopefully you can cash in before mid-May and the spigot shuts off.
2 likes   

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#650 Postby Brent » Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:11 pm

Didn't rain a drop here either again. In fact most of today was actually a nice day after all the talk of a dreary wet weekend :spam: I really hope May does something here because this is ridiculous after how terrible the winter was especially but at least it was actually raining then...
0 likes   
#neversummer

TX4Cats
Tropical Wave
Tropical Wave

#651 Postby TX4Cats » Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:18 pm

Had a wake low move through early this evening. Pressure dropped 0.15 in/Hg in 20 minutes.
1 likes   

snownado
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#652 Postby snownado » Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:59 pm

DFW's definitely been getting screwed with the lack of severe weather (much more so than other locations in every which direction), but has been doing quite well on the precipitation front having seen almost double its average rainfall since March 1st.
0 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#653 Postby Ntxw » Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:16 pm

snownado wrote:DFW's definitely been getting screwed with the lack of severe weather (much more so than other locations in every which direction), but has been doing quite well on the precipitation front having seen almost double its average rainfall since March 1st.

So relieved, 2010s were brutal for the core DFW counties with many costly hail and tornado events.
4 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

HockeyTx82
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#654 Postby HockeyTx82 » Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:20 pm

Ntxw wrote:
snownado wrote:DFW's definitely been getting screwed with the lack of severe weather (much more so than other locations in every which direction), but has been doing quite well on the precipitation front having seen almost double its average rainfall since March 1st.

So relieved, 2010s were brutal for the core DFW counties with many costly hail and tornado events.

Yeah, I would not say we're getting screwed. I think we're just getting a pass which i'm fine with.
2 likes   
Don't hold me accountable for anything I post on this forum. Leave the real forecasting up to the professionals.

Location: Ponder, TX (all observation posts are this location unless otherwise noted)

txtwister78
Category 5
Category 5

#655 Postby txtwister78 » Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:24 pm

Good soakers just west of San Antonio moving east currently producing some rainfall rates of 4 inches per hour. Patience is rewarded.
3 likes   

mmmmsnouts
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#656 Postby mmmmsnouts » Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:15 pm

Up to 13 hours in the dark now. Oncor trying to say the problem is "vegetation" which seems like code for "incompetence." The rest of the neighborhood went down a few hours ago (well after the last rumble of thunder was heard) and there is still no ETA.
0 likes   

txtwister78
Category 5
Category 5

#657 Postby txtwister78 » Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:26 pm

Bonus rain now moving through as a second round of storms has developed over West/NW areas of San Antonio. Nice!
3 likes   

txtwister78
Category 5
Category 5

#658 Postby txtwister78 » Sun Apr 21, 2024 12:52 am

Big hail reports on the north side of San Antonio/Bexar County.
3 likes   

bubba hotep
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#659 Postby bubba hotep » Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:20 am

Yesterday's event put DFW +4" for the year, and the 00z EPS says more rain is on the way.

2 likes   
Winter time post are almost exclusively focused on the DFW area.

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#660 Postby Ntxw » Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:39 am

bubba hotep wrote:Yesterday's event put DFW +4" for the year, and the 00z EPS says more rain is on the way.

https://m3o.pivotalweather.com/maps/models/epsens/2024042100/360/qpf_acc-mean-imp.us_sc.png

The water year (starts in October) has been very good for NTX. Fall->Winter->Spring has been very generous for us and thus far has followed well with El Nino above normal precip.
2 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

Return to “USA & Caribbean Weather”