Texas Fall 2021

U.S. & Caribbean Weather Discussions and Severe Weather Events

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
Cerlin
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Texas Fall 2021

#581 Postby Cerlin » Mon Nov 15, 2021 3:01 pm

Ntxw wrote:West based -NAO and connecting -AO showing up on the ensembles. Chances of a colder Thanksgivings growing. That block has been the persistent theme of the past 12 months.

It's also important to understand what it is you are blocking. That was a key I've been mentioning the past few days, build the cold air first then when you block it, you are working with colder continental air vs maritime.

Yep! I've been noticing it as well. There's likely going to be cold air spilling into the continental U.S. at that time, just a question of if it is far enough west to really affect us. Operationals have largely shown it spilling east but the ensembles seem relatively split. I'm gonna enjoy watching this play out over the next week!
2 likes   
Undergraduate Meteorology Student at the University of Oklahoma and Operator at the Oklahoma Mesonet.
All opinions independent of employers and the university.

EnnisTx
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#582 Postby EnnisTx » Mon Nov 15, 2021 3:17 pm

Cerlin wrote:
Ntxw wrote:West based -NAO and connecting -AO showing up on the ensembles. Chances of a colder Thanksgivings growing. That block has been the persistent theme of the past 12 months.

It's also important to understand what it is you are blocking. That was a key I've been mentioning the past few days, build the cold air first then when you block it, you are working with colder continental air vs maritime.

Yep! I've been noticing it as well. There's likely going to be cold air spilling into the continental U.S. at that time, just a question of if it is far enough west to really affect us. Operationals have largely shown it spilling east but the ensembles seem relatively split. I'm gonna enjoy watching this play out over the next week!

The potential is definitely there, like you said, it will be fun watching this play out. :D
1 likes   

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#583 Postby Brent » Mon Nov 15, 2021 3:23 pm

Hopefully the Euro is wrong with the cold east of us :roll: But the EPS does show promise still

Also no surprise but the GFS has totally lost that snowstorm from last night
2 likes   
#neversummer

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#584 Postby Ntxw » Mon Nov 15, 2021 3:42 pm

I think the initial shots will definitely steer east but as the block retrogrades (along with Pacific jet retraction) it will bleed westward with time.
6 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

HockeyTx82
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#585 Postby HockeyTx82 » Mon Nov 15, 2021 4:37 pm

You all can blame me either way for this. I booked a bounce house for my soon to be 4 year old son's party on the 27th.
3 likes   
Don't hold me accountable for anything I post on this forum. Leave the real forecasting up to the professionals.

Location: Ponder, TX (all observation posts are this location unless otherwise noted)

bubba hotep
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#586 Postby bubba hotep » Mon Nov 15, 2021 4:52 pm

I would like to the the Pacific jet shifted farther southward as we move out in time, but that will be hard to get with the current PSV setup. That is one of the major limiting factors that I see, if you are looking for extreme cold. These are D10 maps, the GFS is a mess but the Euro looks pretty good, just shift the WCAN Ridge westward and we are in business for cold.

1 likes   
Winter time post are almost exclusively focused on the DFW area.

Quixotic
Category 2
Category 2

#587 Postby Quixotic » Mon Nov 15, 2021 6:57 pm

bubba hotep wrote:I would like to the the Pacific jet shifted farther southward as we move out in time, but that will be hard to get with the current PSV setup. That is one of the major limiting factors that I see, if you are looking for extreme cold. These are D10 maps, the GFS is a mess but the Euro looks pretty good, just shift the WCAN Ridge westward and we are in business for cold.

https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/gfs/2021111512/gfs_z500aNorm_namer_41.png

https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/ecmwf/2021111512/ecmwf_z500aNorm_namer_11.png

That strong low out west of Baja California seems incongruent with the ridge in terms of how strong it is. Maybe just me.
1 likes   

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#588 Postby Brent » Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:25 am

GFS has absolutely zero cold air. Thanksgiving in the 60s in Dallas. The end of the run which is December is pretty much a nationwide torch

Euro and CMC also look rather mild and unsettled for Thanksgiving. Again no cold air to be found around here
1 likes   
#neversummer

gpsnowman
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#589 Postby gpsnowman » Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:33 am

It feels and even smells like a late April morning right now. Yuck.
2 likes   

cstrunk
Category 2
Category 2

#590 Postby cstrunk » Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:46 am

gpsnowman wrote:It feels and even smells like a late April morning right now. Yuck.

I had the exact same thought on my way to work this morning. I would be OK with it, if we were looking at some storms coming through in a day or two, but just a slight chance of a light shower. :spam:
1 likes   

TeamPlayersBlue
Category 5
Category 5

#591 Postby TeamPlayersBlue » Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:55 am

Seeing what NTx has been saying. That blocking could be huge. Will be a game changer if it can hold. Much of what is going on in the pacific has not been very friendly for cold air at all, but just the slightest shift westward and we could see big changes. I still stand by my prediction that Dec will be below normal for the nation.
1 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

starsfan65
Category 2
Category 2

#592 Postby starsfan65 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:27 am

Brent wrote:GFS has absolutely zero cold air. Thanksgiving in the 60s in Dallas. The end of the run which is December is pretty much a nationwide torch

Euro and CMC also look rather mild and unsettled for Thanksgiving. Again no cold air to be found around here
GFS is a warm bias.
0 likes   

HockeyTx82
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#593 Postby HockeyTx82 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:48 am

starsfan65 wrote:
Brent wrote:GFS has absolutely zero cold air. Thanksgiving in the 60s in Dallas. The end of the run which is December is pretty much a nationwide torch

GFS is a warm bias.

But the GFS also nailed the February cold outbreak and we still were Iike it's out to lunch.
0 likes   
Don't hold me accountable for anything I post on this forum. Leave the real forecasting up to the professionals.

Location: Ponder, TX (all observation posts are this location unless otherwise noted)

starsfan65
Category 2
Category 2

#594 Postby starsfan65 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:51 am

HockeyTx82 wrote:
starsfan65 wrote:

GFS is a warm bias.

But the GFS also nailed the February cold outbreak and we still were Iike it's out to lunch.
Ya'll saying that the GFS could be right?
0 likes   

EnnisTx
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#595 Postby EnnisTx » Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:57 am

No one is saying one model is right or wrong, it's still to early to be expecting anything for sure. Mostly wish casting is ongoing for most. It will all play out soon enough.
0 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#596 Postby Ntxw » Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:56 pm

HockeyTx82 wrote:
starsfan65 wrote:

GFS is a warm bias.

Every situation is different. GFS was superior in that case because it was the most consistent. It's flaked in other cold snaps being too warm. Once you see a model or models become consistent then you start to weigh it more because it's figured something out. Some cases the Euro is better and others the GFS.

This one isn't a clear cut case. There's been some swings of warm and cold, which tells us they are still resolving the ridge and trough placement.
1 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#597 Postby Ntxw » Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:04 pm

Here is such an example over the weekend if you look over Greenland had a trough in the vicinity of Greenland blocking. Now it's a massive monstrous ridge. That's like predicting a forest fire one run then heavy flooding some time later for the same period. Still though we're looking at 10 days out.

4 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

TheProfessor
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#598 Postby TheProfessor » Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:57 pm

I'm late to the discussion, but one thing about teleconnections (and I've mentioned this before iirc) is that how they trend is just as important as where it is on the graph. In the midterm the PNA is expected to trend positive, but then that trend becomes more neutral or even slightly negative, which would favor us. A low amplitude negative trend isn't a bad deal for us as long as the AO, EPO, and NAO aren't going in the wrong direction too. It does seem like we could see what Ntxw was mentioning with the cold air sliding east at first and then retrograding westward with time.
1 likes   
An alumnus of The Ohio State University.

Your local National Weather Service office is your best source for weather information.

starsfan65
Category 2
Category 2

#599 Postby starsfan65 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:02 pm

TheProfessor wrote:I'm late to the discussion, but one thing about teleconnections (and I've mentioned this before iirc) is that how they trend is just as important as where it is on the graph. In the midterm the PNA is expected to trend positive, but then that trend becomes more neutral or even slightly negative, which would favor us. A low amplitude negative trend isn't a bad deal for us as long as the AO, EPO, and NAO aren't going in the wrong direction too. It does seem like we could see what Ntxw was mentioning with the cold air sliding east at first and then retrograding westward with time.
how long is the PNA is going to be positive?
0 likes   

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#600 Postby Brent » Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:05 pm

I think it's becoming clear the Tuesday cold is east of us what happens just after Thanksgiving is the big question. Theres still signs of something bigger for us the issue is of course we're talking about beyond day 10 and it's hard to trust anything. The end of the euro has a snowstorm in the Panhandle but again it's the day after Thanksgiving so a long way out

I will go back to what I probably said weeks ago though... November cold the last few years hasn't helped us in the winter so I mean if its delayed it's not the worst thing.
Last edited by Brent on Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.
1 likes   
#neversummer

Return to “USA & Caribbean Weather”