Texas Summer 2020

U.S. & Caribbean Weather Discussions and Severe Weather Events

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Texas Summer 2020

#401 Postby Brent » Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:13 pm

Cpv17 wrote:Latest 12z Euro has 97L going into the mid TX coast as a strong wave or depression.

I'm kind of curious why there's not more strengthening tbh... it already looks like its on the way and its moving into such prime water in late August

the only EPAC hurricane is on its way out so shrugs cant really see much shear? am I missing something?
0 likes   
#neversummer

Cpv17
Category 5
Category 5

#402 Postby Cpv17 » Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:49 pm

Brent wrote:
Cpv17 wrote:Latest 12z Euro has 97L going into the mid TX coast as a strong wave or depression.

I'm kind of curious why there's not more strengthening tbh... it already looks like its on the way and its moving into such prime water in late August

the only EPAC hurricane is on its way out so shrugs cant really see much shear? am I missing something?

I agree. Curious myself. I personally think there will be some strengthening.
0 likes   

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#403 Postby Brent » Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:32 am

The Euro is stronger this run and comes in just below Galveston
0 likes   
#neversummer

dhweather
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#404 Postby dhweather » Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:21 am

Well this is interesting

0 likes   
The above post and any post by dhweather is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Portastorm
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#405 Postby Portastorm » Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:40 am

I would point out that a number of us about 7-10 days ago showed some of the longer range models ... and the lowering pressures in the Gulf and especially the Western Gulf. We all agreed it was a period to watch ... and ... wallah ... here we are! :)

I wonder when the last time was when there were two named tropical systems in the Gulf at the same time. Could happen next week.
3 likes   
Any forecasts under my name are to be taken with a grain of salt. Get your best forecasts from the National Weather Service and National Hurricane Center.

I'm a certified Advanced SKYWARN-trained spotter and am active on Twitter at @TravisCOSW, a social media partner of the NWS Austin-San Antonio office.

Cpv17
Category 5
Category 5

#406 Postby Cpv17 » Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:45 am

Right now I’m saying td 14 will be a Louisiana storm and td 13 will be a problem for someone in the eastern Gulf and meanwhile here in Texas we continue to bake under the furnace. That’s just the way it’s looking right now imo.
3 likes   

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#407 Postby Brent » Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:25 pm

12z euro :double: much stronger

I find it hilarious it still refuses to form 13

0 likes   
#neversummer

Haris
Category 5
Category 5

#408 Postby Haris » Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:46 pm

Cpv17 wrote:Right now I’m saying td 14 will be a Louisiana storm and td 13 will be a problem for someone in the eastern Gulf and meanwhile here in Texas we continue to bake under the furnace. That’s just the way it’s looking right now imo.

Early to assume partner but knowing our luck, that is not a bad prediction :wink:
0 likes   
Weather geek and a storm spotter in West Austin. Not a degreed meteorologist. Big snow fan. Love rain and cold! Despise heat!

Cpv17
Category 5
Category 5

#409 Postby Cpv17 » Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:26 pm

Brent wrote:12z euro :double: much stronger

I find it hilarious it still refuses to form 13

https://i.ibb.co/HYz9t1q/ecmwf-uv850-vort-watl-6-2.png

Look at where the latest TVCN is. Louisiana. Flip flop.
0 likes   

Portastorm
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#410 Postby Portastorm » Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:26 pm

Cpv17 wrote:Right now I’m saying td 14 will be a Louisiana storm and td 13 will be a problem for someone in the eastern Gulf and meanwhile here in Texas we continue to bake under the furnace. That’s just the way it’s looking right now imo.

Yeah, I could definitely see that happening. Would be fairly typical for us (Texas). LOL.
3 likes   
Any forecasts under my name are to be taken with a grain of salt. Get your best forecasts from the National Weather Service and National Hurricane Center.

I'm a certified Advanced SKYWARN-trained spotter and am active on Twitter at @TravisCOSW, a social media partner of the NWS Austin-San Antonio office.

BigD938
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#411 Postby BigD938 » Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:09 pm

Hi guys, first time posting here. Have watch this forum for years now. I’m in the autobody repair business, any kind of weather helps us out with work. So I have always just watch to see what can kinda be coming or to look forward to. I don’t have much to add, and y’all are way smarter than I am lol.

I but have a question, these two TD that are moving towards us right now. Can they combine like a thunder storm or will one suck the energy out of the other one?

Also, I’m out East of Dallas in Forney
0 likes   

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#412 Postby Brent » Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:04 pm

BigD938 wrote:Hi guys, first time posting here. Have watch this forum for years now. I’m in the autobody repair business, any kind of weather helps us out with work. So I have always just watch to see what can kinda be coming or to look forward to. I don’t have much to add, and y’all are way smarter than I am lol.

I but have a question, these two TD that are moving towards us right now. Can they combine like a thunder storm or will one suck the energy out of the other one?

Most likely the stronger one would shear the other one and basically kill it but who knows it's pretty unprecedented in the Gulf to have two storms to begin with and honestly don't know which one is gonna be stronger at this rate

NHC has a hurricane near Galveston Tuesday Night now btw
0 likes   
#neversummer

Cpv17
Category 5
Category 5

#413 Postby Cpv17 » Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:02 pm

BigD938 wrote:Hi guys, first time posting here. Have watch this forum for years now. I’m in the autobody repair business, any kind of weather helps us out with work. So I have always just watch to see what can kinda be coming or to look forward to. I don’t have much to add, and y’all are way smarter than I am lol.

Welcome aboard. And yeah I agree with what Brent said. Since the satellite era began in the 1960’s there’s never been two canes in the Gulf at the same time. :eek:
0 likes   

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#414 Postby Brent » Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:33 pm

Cpv17 wrote:

Welcome aboard. And yeah I agree with what Brent said. Since the satellite era began in the 1960’s there’s never been two canes in the Gulf at the same time. :eek:

yeah the only thing that may be comparable was in 1933 when a hurricane hit Brownsville the same time a weakening hurricane was over Florida

its pretty much unheard of otherwise and even that one was way weaker

and as it stands now the forecast has these two much closer than that. Again my guess is that they won't both co-exist like that but who knows

Honestly yesterday I would have said 13 would win but today I definitely think its a tossup with it struggling, things can change overnight in those waters though especially closer to Florida and also since last night I've been thinking 14 was a sleeper. Have to see what shape its in after the Yucatan though
0 likes   
#neversummer

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#415 Postby Brent » Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:52 am

Not getting my hopes up but this looks interesting

0 likes   
#neversummer

Cpv17
Category 5
Category 5

#416 Postby Cpv17 » Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:00 am

If the track that the NHC has out right now verifies I’ll get left high and dry here in Wharton County. Most of the rain will be in Louisiana.
0 likes   

TeamPlayersBlue
Category 5
Category 5

#417 Postby TeamPlayersBlue » Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:13 am

The path, and current position remind me quite a bit of Harvey. Creeping along too.
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Cpv17
Category 5
Category 5

#418 Postby Cpv17 » Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:30 am

TeamPlayersBlue wrote:The path, and current position remind me quite a bit of Harvey. Creeping along too.

Hoping this comes in as a strong ts or cat 1 anywhere between Matagorda and Corpus. Not looking likely atm though.
1 likes   

Portastorm
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#419 Postby Portastorm » Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:42 am

Cpv17 wrote:
TeamPlayersBlue wrote:The path, and current position remind me quite a bit of Harvey. Creeping along too.

Hoping this comes in as a strong ts or cat 1 anywhere between Matagorda and Corpus. Not looking likely atm though.

We'd love a intensity/track like that too if it ends up being a rainmaker for South Central Texas.
0 likes   

Tireman4
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#420 Postby Tireman4 » Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:13 am

Portastorm wrote:
Cpv17 wrote:

We'd love a intensity/track like that too if it ends up being a rainmaker for South Central Texas.

Porta...I was just reading the Tropical Storm Don thread in 2011. Gosh, you were not a happy camper. LOL. Back to this thread, lots of model runs to sift through in the upcoming days. Dont look now, but could Laura come our (your way)....stay tuned gang. We have a mystery to solve.
0 likes   

Return to “USA & Caribbean Weather”