Texas Spring 2024

U.S. & Caribbean Weather Discussions and Severe Weather Events

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
rwfromkansas
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Texas Spring 2024

#1361 Postby rwfromkansas » Tue May 21, 2024 10:44 am

Maybe that line is some outflow? The front is in KS still.
0 likes   

snownado
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#1362 Postby snownado » Tue May 21, 2024 11:11 am

Cpv17 wrote:
snownado wrote:
Cpv17 wrote:Tomorrow and Saturday look really bad for y’all in NTX. Are y’all sleeping or just don’t care? Have y’all all of a sudden lost your passion for the weather? Lol

There have been several setups this season that looked good on paper but failed to execute/deliver for various reasons (thus emphasis on the "exhaustion from teasing" mentioned in my reply).

At this point, I'll believe it when I see it.

I mean, I wouldn’t let your guard down just cuz of failed past events. DFW can get some crazy severe weather. Way worse than my part of the state.

For sure.

My response was more so addressing the lack of interest/excitement with the potential setup. And it's understandable in light of both seasonal trends this year as well as the fact that we're well beyond the climatological peak for severe weather season (late April / early May) in DFW. Not to say it can't still happen, but the probability/odds of widespread severe activity is steadily declining from here on out with the westerlies realigning to the north.

I will add, BTW, the latest CAMs tomorrow afternoon/evening aren't even looking all that hot for the Metroplex right now. But of course, if things do get cracking tomorrow, then great (I'll be here for it)...
Last edited by snownado on Tue May 21, 2024 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

HockeyTx82
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1363 Postby HockeyTx82 » Tue May 21, 2024 11:24 am

snownado wrote:
Cpv17 wrote:
snownado wrote:
There have been several setups this season that looked good on paper but failed to execute/deliver for various reasons (thus emphasis on the "exhaustion from teasing" mentioned in my reply).

At this point, I'll believe it when I see it.

I mean, I wouldn’t let your guard down just cuz of failed past events. DFW can get some crazy severe weather. Way worse than my part of the state.

For sure.

My response was more so addressing the lack of interest/excitement with the potential setup. And it's understandable in light of both seasonal trends this year as well as the fact that we're well beyond the climatological peak for severe weather season (late April / early May) in DFW. Not to say it can't still happen, but the probability/odds of widespread severe activity are steadily declining from here on out with the westerlies realigning to the north.

I will add, BTW, the latest CAMs tomorrow afternoon/evening aren't even looking all that hot for the Metroplex right now. But of course, if things do get cracking tomorrow, then great (I'll be here for it)...

What are CAMs and how do they help in forecasts? I keep seeing mention of them but don't know how or where to access it.
1 likes   
Don't hold me accountable for anything I post on this forum. Leave the real forecasting up to the professionals.

Location: Ponder, TX (all observation posts are this location unless otherwise noted)

HockeyTx82
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1364 Postby HockeyTx82 » Tue May 21, 2024 11:26 am

Well maybe Copilot just answered it for me....

CAMs, or Convection-Allowing Models, are high-resolution numerical weather prediction models that are capable of simulating individual thunderstorms across large areas, such as the entire continental United States³. These models are extremely valuable to forecasters because they provide detailed information on storm types, which are strongly related to expected hazards⁴. CAMs can produce hourly simulated radar imagery that looks very real, helping to provide specific information about timing, location, and threat to partners, clients, and the public⁴.

To access CAMs data for weather forecasts, you can visit the Atmosphere Data Store (ADS), which is the main point of access to CAMs data provided by the Copernicus Atmosphere Monitoring Service (CAMS)⁵. The ADS offers data access to the Global Reanalysis, the Regional Analyses and Forecasts, the Solar Radiation Service, and the Inversion-Optimised Greenhouse Gas Fluxes⁵. Additionally, the National Severe Storms Laboratory (NSSL) provides real-time CAM data, which can be accessed through their website⁶.

These tools are essential for meteorologists and researchers in the field of atmospheric sciences, providing them with the necessary data to analyze and predict weather patterns more accurately.

Source: Conversation with Copilot, 5/21/2024
(1) Research Tools:Simulation - NOAA National Severe Storms Laboratory. https://www.nssl.noaa.gov/tools/simulation/.
(2) How Convection-Allowing Models Have Changed Our World. https://nwas.org/convection-allowing-mo ... ged-world/.
(3) Data | Copernicus. https://atmosphere.copernicus.eu/data.
(4) NSSL CAMs. https://cams.nssl.noaa.gov/.
(5) CAMS Global atmospheric composition forecasts | ECMWF. https://www.ecmwf.int/en/forecasts/data ... -forecasts.
(6) ACP - The CAMS reanalysis of atmospheric composition. https://acp.copernicus.org/articles/19/3515/2019/.
(7) How to set up the Weather widget in your stream - CamStreamer. https://support.camstreamer.com/hc/en-u ... our-stream.
(8) Getting Started Guide | OpenSnow. https://opensnow.com/news/post/getting-started-guide.
(9) undefined. https://doi.org/10.5194/acp-19-3515-2019.
0 likes   
Don't hold me accountable for anything I post on this forum. Leave the real forecasting up to the professionals.

Location: Ponder, TX (all observation posts are this location unless otherwise noted)

snownado
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#1365 Postby snownado » Tue May 21, 2024 11:45 am

HockeyTx82 wrote:
snownado wrote:
Cpv17 wrote:

For sure.

My response was more so addressing the lack of interest/excitement with the potential setup. And it's understandable in light of both seasonal trends this year as well as the fact that we're well beyond the climatological peak for severe weather season (late April / early May) in DFW. Not to say it can't still happen, but the probability/odds of widespread severe activity are steadily declining from here on out with the westerlies realigning to the north.

What are CAMs and how do they help in forecasts? I keep seeing mention of them but don't know how or where to access it.

CAMs = Convection-Allowing Models.

In essence, they're Hi-Res models that are able to simulate thunderstorm activity on a mesoscale level, thus highlighting specific areas in a broader synoptic setup most susceptible to development

So for example, this would be the HRRR, 3km NAM, NBM, ARW, etc.
1 likes   

WacoWx
Category 2
Category 2

#1366 Postby WacoWx » Tue May 21, 2024 2:16 pm

Pretty solid t-storm about to roll through Dallas. Caught the edge of it here in Las Colinas.
0 likes   

snownado
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#1367 Postby snownado » Tue May 21, 2024 3:02 pm

WacoWx wrote:Pretty solid t-storm about to roll through Dallas. Caught the edge of it here in Las Colinas.

That cell must have been really elevated, because DFW picked up nothing measurable and DAL only picked up 0.04"...

It had virtually no impact on temps either, as DFW is now up to 88*F.
0 likes   

snownado
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#1368 Postby snownado » Tue May 21, 2024 5:25 pm

Texoz wrote:The forecast high from NWS for Austin on Sunday is 98.

I'm not ready for spring to be over.

The current forecast for DFW is also 98*F on Sunday.
0 likes   

rwfromkansas
Category 5
Category 5

#1369 Postby rwfromkansas » Tue May 21, 2024 5:58 pm

Not much happening on radar. Nevermind. Tomorrow is the storm day. Lost track of my days.
0 likes   

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1370 Postby Brent » Tue May 21, 2024 7:28 pm

Iowa is sure having a heck of a tornado season. Wouldn't be surprised if that's the strongest tornado of the year
0 likes   
#neversummer

Cpv17
Category 5
Category 5

#1371 Postby Cpv17 » Tue May 21, 2024 7:37 pm

Brent wrote:Iowa is sure having a heck of a tornado season. Wouldn't be surprised if that's the strongest tornado of the year

Well it definitely looked like the worst damage I’ve seen so far this year. I think it was a solid EF4, for sure. Thankfully it didn’t look that wide though.
0 likes   

ElectricStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#1372 Postby ElectricStorm » Tue May 21, 2024 10:43 pm

Yeah that's probably the worst damage I've seen since at least Rolling Fork last year and maybe Mayfield 2021. Extremely high end tornado
0 likes   
I am in no way a professional. Take what I say with a grain of salt as I could be totally wrong. Please refer to the NHC, NWS, or SPC for official information.

Boomer Sooner!

Anti-freeze
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#1373 Postby Anti-freeze » Tue May 21, 2024 10:53 pm

"Alleged" tornado, per NBC....
2 likes   

Cpv17
Category 5
Category 5

#1374 Postby Cpv17 » Wed May 22, 2024 12:22 am

Anti-freeze wrote:"Alleged" tornado, per NBC....

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
0 likes   

HockeyTx82
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1375 Postby HockeyTx82 » Wed May 22, 2024 10:11 am

Hey there, I'm starting to see some storm fire southwest of DFW. I have a bad feeling about today, and I think it's going to be a rough one for North Texas. It's weird that there aren't many posts or warnings from the weather community. That makes me think we're in for it.
0 likes   

snownado
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#1376 Postby snownado » Wed May 22, 2024 10:27 am

HockeyTx82 wrote:Hey there, I'm starting to see some storm fire southwest of DFW. I have a bad feeling about today, and I think it's going to be a rough one for North Texas. It's weird that there aren't many posts or warnings from the weather community. That makes me think we're in for it.

Besides many folks waiting to see if this won't be yet another rug pull for DFW (as we discussed earlier, and the jury is still out on this), in all fairness, the setup today (for what it is) does pale in comparison to what is looming this weekend as well as what happened yesterday.
0 likes   

gpsnowman
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1377 Postby gpsnowman » Wed May 22, 2024 10:37 am

snownado wrote:
HockeyTx82 wrote:Hey there, I'm starting to see some storm fire southwest of DFW. I have a bad feeling about today, and I think it's going to be a rough one for North Texas. It's weird that there aren't many posts or warnings from the weather community. That makes me think we're in for it.

Besides many folks waiting to see if this won't be yet another rug pull for DFW (as we discussed earlier, and the jury is still out on this), in all fairness, the setup today (for what it is) does pale in comparison to what is looming this weekend as well as what happened yesterday.

Some gorgeous indoor weather coming up. Hooray.
0 likes   

WacoWx
Category 2
Category 2

#1378 Postby WacoWx » Wed May 22, 2024 10:40 am

I just need it to be clear tomorrow morning for a golf tournament in Dallas.
0 likes   

HockeyTx82
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1379 Postby HockeyTx82 » Wed May 22, 2024 11:01 am

snownado wrote:

I keep hearing of talk about Saturday. What are we expecting? What are you seeing? What are people talking about?

Do I need to go to church and make my peace with God?

The latest outlook I am looking at appears to have shifted much more north and east of Texas. Yes, I agree DFW proper is still in it, but we're on the very southern fringe. Perhaps a more northward trajectory is now anticipated.?
0 likes   

snownado
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#1380 Postby snownado » Wed May 22, 2024 11:04 am

HockeyTx82 wrote:
snownado wrote:

I keep hearing of talk about Saturday. What are we expecting? What are you seeing? What are people talking about?

Do I need to go to church and make my peace with God?

The latest outlook I am looking at appears to have shifted much more north and east of Texas. Yes, I agree DFW proper is still in it, but we're on the very southern fringe. Perhaps a more northward trajectory is now anticipated.?

Saturday's going to be yet another episode mostly for OK / KS / AR. Parts of N. / NE TX may get some outflow remnants and cloud debris though.
0 likes   

Return to “USA & Caribbean Weather”