Texas Winter 2013-2014

Winter Weather Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
gpsnowman
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#10001 Postby gpsnowman » Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:00 pm

Drove back from Austin last night after spending the weekend there. I was expecting to see more blooming and green trees and other vegetation the further south I went but that could not be further from the truth. Some of the trees in Austin that I saw were just beginning to bloom some green. Very few flowers were seen in the ground or on trees yet. It is mid-March!!! Only slightly greener than here in DFW. Aside from the Bradford Pears(and weeds) I have seen nothing growing yet. Amazing. Ntwx mentioned the bluebonnets for this year. Well, last year hardly any grew and the ones that did did not last longer than a couple days. We might not see many this year. With more cold likely, I wonder when my wife and I should start planting. She keeps asking her weather nerd husband. I keep telling her we should wait. Crazy winter and late winter/early spring.
On another note, as soon as we go out of town DFW gets a downpour with thunder and lightning. Jealous!!!
0 likes   

gpsnowman
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Texas Winter 2013-2014

#10002 Postby gpsnowman » Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:02 pm

TeamPlayersBlue wrote:
wxman57 wrote:I found the following July forecast for Dec-Feb on page 1 of this topic:

[img]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BPBYsb7 CMAEBqcr.jpg:large[/img]

If that pans out that will be very impressive

I think it did pan out.
0 likes   

TeamPlayersBlue
Category 5
Category 5

#10003 Postby TeamPlayersBlue » Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:34 pm

gpsnowman wrote:
TeamPlayersBlue wrote:
wxman57 wrote:I found the following July forecast for Dec-Feb on page 1 of this topic:

[img]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BPBYsb7 CMAEBqcr.jpg:large[/img]

If that pans out that will be very impressive

I think it did pan out.

Oh i misunderstood the map :(
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

TheProfessor
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

Re: Re:

#10004 Postby TheProfessor » Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:15 pm

dhweather wrote:
TheProfessor wrote:If the cold front continued into the summer, wouldn't that extend the period of large hailstorms in the southern plains?

I don't think so. Large hail is usually correlated with extremely strong updrafts into a thunderstorm.

Yes, but those strong updrafts are caused by Cold dry air and moist warm air being filtering in and out of storms. And usually we lose that cold air as we get later into June.
0 likes   
An alumnus of The Ohio State University.

Your local National Weather Service office is your best source for weather information.

dhweather
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Re:

#10005 Postby dhweather » Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:35 pm

TheProfessor wrote:
dhweather wrote:
TheProfessor wrote:If the cold front continued into the summer, wouldn't that extend the period of large hailstorms in the southern plains?

I don't think so. Large hail is usually correlated with extremely strong updrafts into a thunderstorm.

Yes, but those strong updrafts are caused by Cold dry air and moist warm air being filtering in and out of storms. And usually we lose that cold air as we get later into June.

But with the pattern we have been seeing, cold air has been advecting down, keeping the atmosphere dry, essentially inhibiting convection. No convection, no hail.
0 likes   
The above post and any post by dhweather is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

TeamPlayersBlue
Category 5
Category 5

#10006 Postby TeamPlayersBlue » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:54 pm

http://www.engadget.com/2014/03/17/rutg ... e-mission/

This is very interesting. Im not sure where to post this.
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#10007 Postby Ntxw » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:25 pm

Spring is nowhere to be found. Perhaps it is the year without a true spring, ENS is quite impressive with anomalies across North America. First batch of cold will aim for the lakes and east coast as core of cold glancing to Texas. Just when they thought the near record great lakes ice coverage would ease. Second batch likely dives further west across the plains with possibly troughing from undercutting jet. And if Euro control rules the roost then winter may never end.

From October to April this winter will be legendary when recorded in the books. Talks of it will be in the light of the great winter's past.
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

Texas Snowman
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

Re:

#10008 Postby Texas Snowman » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:32 pm

Ntxw wrote:Spring is nowhere to be found. Perhaps it is the year without a true spring, ENS is quite impressive with anomalies across North America. First batch of cold will aim for the lakes and east coast as core of cold glancing to Texas. Just when they thought the near record great lakes ice coverage would ease. Second batch likely dives further west across the plains with possibly troughing from undercutting jet. And if Euro control rules the roost then winter may never end.

From October to April this winter will be legendary when recorded in the books. Talks of it will be in the light of the great winter's past.

What would make it legendary here - to me, at least - is a last gasp winter storm of some kind, something that brings snow across some portion of the state. Or a few more freezes to get DFW deeper into the record book. But it's getting pretty late in the game for any of that though.
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Texas Snowman is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Texas Snowman
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#10009 Postby Texas Snowman » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:48 pm

By my count, Sherman/Denison are sitting at 58 freezes for this winter season after a low of 31 degrees today. A couple of more days of freezes and we hit 60 days - that would be utterly amazing!

Also, looking back, there were several days that featured lows of 33 and a few had lows of 34 or 35 degrees.
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Texas Snowman is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Texas Snowman
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#10010 Postby Texas Snowman » Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:31 pm

What kind of a winter has it been here in the Red River Valley? One to remember.

I'll have to go back and look at how many actual winter weather events there have been (off the top of my head, there were two major ice storms, one in early December and the other in early March, along with three or four other more minor events). I'll also have to go back and verify how many days of school that the kids have missed here (it's seven or eight total, perhaps a record for the Denison ISD).

Here's the temperature summary for the 2013/14 winter season in Sherman/Denison thus far (I used Weather Underground's daily observations):

* First freeze = 30 degrees on Nov. 13th (***Note = The low was a near-miss 34 degrees on Nov. 7).
* Lowest temp of the season = 11 degrees on Jan. 24 (12 degree readings occurred on Jan. 6 and March 3).

* Days with lows of 32 degrees or below = 58
* Days with lows of 33 degrees = 7
* Days with lows of 34 degrees = 9
* Days with lows of 35 degrees = 4
(***Days with lows of 35 degrees or lower this winter = 78 so far.)

(***NOTE = November featured one day with a low of 33 degrees; four days with a low of 34; and one day with a low of 35. December featured three days of 33 degree lows; one day of 34 degrees; and one day of 35 degrees. January featured two days of 33 degree lows; zero of 34; and one of 35. February featured one of 33 degrees; three of 34; and one of 35. March has featured zero of 33; one of 34; and zero of 35.)

* Days with low temperature readings in the teens = 11 total (Dec. 6 = 17 degrees; Jan. 5 = 17; Jan. 6 = 12; Jan. 7 = 19; Jan. 24 = 11; Jan. 28 = 19; Jan. 29 = 15; Feb. 5 = 19; Feb. 6 = 14; March 2 = 16; and March 3 = 12).

* Total number of sub-freezing days = Four total (High 30, Low 12 on Jan. 6; H/L of 21-14 on Feb. 6; H/L of 30-20 on Feb. 7; and H/L of 30-12 on March 3)

(***NOTE: There were four near miss days in the last category of sub-freezing days (Jan. 28 had a high of 33, a low of 19; Feb. 5 had a high of 33, a low of 19; Feb. 10 had a high of 33, a low of 27; and Feb. 11 had a high of 34, a low of 25).

Finally, in light of those four sub-freezing days and four near-miss days, none are listed for the early December ice storm where kids missed a total of five days due to poor road conditions. That doesn't seem right to me - I'm going to recheck tomorrow.
0 likes   

angelwing
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#10011 Postby angelwing » Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:38 am

I do not live in Texas but I have been reading this thread thru the winter and I just want to thank all of you for the information and the fun!
0 likes   
Agnes 72, Gloria 85, Floyd 99, Irene 2011, TS Lee 2012, Sandy 2012

Tcu101
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#10012 Postby Tcu101 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:34 pm

5% humidity in Lubbuck with near 60MPH winds. I bet the dust is flying in the panhandle :double:
0 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#10013 Postby Ntxw » Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:19 pm

Our resident warm pool is making a comeback. Is it ever going to leave? Doesn't seem so, CFSv2 says it will stick around until November (maybe even longer but doesn't go that far). What an incredible run for such an anomaly! What kind of mischief does it have in store for us?

0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

cctxhurricanewatcher
Category 5
Category 5

#10014 Postby cctxhurricanewatcher » Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:00 pm

:uarrow: :uarrow:

Summer Cancel????? 8-)
0 likes   

BigB0882
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#10015 Postby BigB0882 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:48 pm

If it sticks around until November then you have to start wondering if we have a repeat next winter. Extend that another 2-3 months and we have that warm pool in the middle of winter again. If it is an El Nino winter does that mean wetter?? Wet + cold = fun!
0 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

Re:

#10016 Postby Ntxw » Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:53 pm

BigB0882 wrote:If it sticks around until November then you have to start wondering if we have a repeat next winter. Extend that another 2-3 months and we have that warm pool in the middle of winter again. If it is an El Nino winter does that mean wetter?? Wet + cold = fun!

Indeed that is what the guidance in general are leaning towards. The triple crown of SST's would be warm ENSO, NE Pacific and Greenland, Perhaps we are seeing a repeat of the 1970s and this year was 1976, 1977 to follow?
0 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

TheProfessor
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#10017 Postby TheProfessor » Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:03 pm

:uarrow: Is that the 77-78 winter? because that winter had 5 snow events occur from mid January to early February. The biggest one dumping 4-8" on the metroplex.

The 76-77winter also had a good amount of snow for areas north of I-20.
I wouldn't mind either of these winters happening, but a winter like 77-78 would involve more people.
0 likes   
An alumnus of The Ohio State University.

Your local National Weather Service office is your best source for weather information.

gboudx
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#10018 Postby gboudx » Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:29 am

Happy 1st day of Spring! 501 pages is an amazing run but all good things must come to an end. See you guys/gals in the Spring and Tropical threads.
0 likes   

Portastorm
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#10019 Postby Portastorm » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:03 am

:uarrow:

Going, going ... GONE!
0 likes   
Any forecasts under my name are to be taken with a grain of salt. Get your best forecasts from the National Weather Service and National Hurricane Center.

I'm a certified Advanced SKYWARN-trained spotter and am active on Twitter at @TravisCOSW, a social media partner of the NWS Austin-San Antonio office.

Return to “Winter Weather”