Texas Winter 2013-2014

Winter Weather Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
Tireman4
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#21 Postby Tireman4 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:47 pm

I want Winter Porta. I want it now. Please. Make it freeze. Right now.
Please tell your boys at the PWC I want it all and I want it now.

Signed

A Delirious Texas Overheated Runner
0 likes   

SaskatchewanScreamer

#22 Postby SaskatchewanScreamer » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:03 am

I can't believe I'm saying this but please send some of your heat up here!!! We will be tickled pink to send our cold down there in return!!!

I'm worried I'm going to find my tropicals limp from freezing temps!

From an almost frostbitten Canadian :roll:
0 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

Re:

#23 Postby Ntxw » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:44 am

SaskatchewanScreamer wrote:I can't believe I'm saying this but please send some of your heat up here!!! We will be tickled pink to send our cold down there in return!!!

Tireman4 is hogging it all down in Houston (heat), Ms Screamer! He wants you to freeze early so there's plenty supply to come down when winter hits for his jogging enjoyment.

You neglected us for a lot of last season and sent much of it to your fellow pals in eastern Canada! We need an insurance policy that your fans will be aimed more south this year :P
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

SaskatchewanScreamer

Re: Re:

#24 Postby SaskatchewanScreamer » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:33 pm

Ntxw wrote:
SaskatchewanScreamer wrote:I can't believe I'm saying this but please send some of your heat up here!!! We will be tickled pink to send our cold down there in return!!!

Tireman4 is hogging it all down in Houston (heat), Ms Screamer! He wants you to freeze early so there's plenty supply to come down when winter hits for his jogging enjoyment.

You neglected us for a lot of last season and sent much of it to your fellow pals in eastern Canada! We need an insurance policy that your fans will be aimed more south this year :P

:hmm: Hey I sent snow down there! Now it is your turn to send a little heat this-a-way! :break:

Tit for tat!!!

(Why do I feel like I'm talking to Satan????????)
0 likes   

Portastorm
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

Re: Texas Winter 2013-2014

#25 Postby Portastorm » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:22 pm

:uarrow:

No Screamer ... don't give me this "I sent snow your way" stuff ... considering how cold and snowy you were, you could have done a much better job of encasing us in ice down here in the Lone Star State! We're all disappointed. But guess what? There is opportunity for you to renew our confidence in you. You have a new season coming in a few months and we'll expect a better effort from you ... start working on those fans! :lol:
0 likes   
Any forecasts under my name are to be taken with a grain of salt. Get your best forecasts from the National Weather Service and National Hurricane Center.

I'm a certified Advanced SKYWARN-trained spotter and am active on Twitter at @TravisCOSW, a social media partner of the NWS Austin-San Antonio office.

Tireman4
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#26 Postby Tireman4 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:24 pm

Portastorm wrote::uarrow:

No Screamer ... don't give me this "I sent snow your way" stuff ... considering how cold and snowy you were, you could have done a much better job of encasing us in ice down here in the Lone Star State! We're all disappointed. But guess what? There is opportunity for you to renew our confidence in you. You have a new season coming in a few months and we'll expect a better effort from you ... start working on those fans! :lol:

You boys at the PWC better get cracking too mister (:)). I want all the frozen stuff. I want cold. I want crisp north winds. I want it ALL!!
0 likes   

Portastorm
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#27 Postby Portastorm » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:27 pm

I know Tireman ... I know. PWC was terrible last winter. We also let everyone down. :(

But we're working with our North Texas branch (Ntxw) to ensure that Texas Winter 2013-14 is a great one. We know you're getting tired of these runs in 110-degree heat indices. :wink:
0 likes   
Any forecasts under my name are to be taken with a grain of salt. Get your best forecasts from the National Weather Service and National Hurricane Center.

I'm a certified Advanced SKYWARN-trained spotter and am active on Twitter at @TravisCOSW, a social media partner of the NWS Austin-San Antonio office.

Tireman4
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#28 Postby Tireman4 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:31 pm

Portastorm wrote:I know Tireman ... I know. PWC was terrible last winter. We also let everyone down. :(

But we're working with our North Texas branch (Ntxw) to ensure that Texas Winter 2013-14 is a great one. We know you're getting tired of these runs in 110-degree heat indices. :wink:

Yeah, I know. I am so looking forward to my 2:30 pm 7 mile run. I have just dialed it back to an 8 minute pace and said, just get the mileage in. I am too young to die. Sigh.
0 likes   

Tireman4
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#29 Postby Tireman4 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:50 pm

Tireman4 wrote:
Portastorm wrote:I know Tireman ... I know. PWC was terrible last winter. We also let everyone down. :(

Yeah, I know. I am so looking forward to my 2:30 pm 7 mile run. I have just dialed it back to an 8 minute pace and said, just get the mileage in. I am too young to die. Sigh.

Update: It was actually sorta ok. I was not dying. 7:41 pace was ok. Not great, but ok. LOL. I still want the cold.
0 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#30 Postby Ntxw » Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:09 am

I assure you the North Texas branch of PWC is working diligently with HQ for winter of 2013-2014. Inside sources has mentioned seeing fresh crayons and babies ready to be shipped to scenic southwest Austin. Word is this new resource will be implemented for top of the line accuracy in-house model output maps. Lots of blue and purple, lots of snow depth colors, you want it you got it!
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

Portastorm
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#31 Postby Portastorm » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:43 pm

:uarrow:

Indeed. The PWC will be employing some unusual methods to reclaim it's mojo and offer a dynamic winter season to its Texas patrons. We will be tapping into those young minds for fresh, out-of-the-crib thinking! :D
0 likes   

SaskatchewanScreamer

#32 Postby SaskatchewanScreamer » Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:07 pm

Portastorm wrote::uarrow:

:hmm: My friend and her husband headed down to Arizona last winter. She said it was so sad to see the tall cacti there frozen.

Now be fair...we've sent you many a cold front this summer and last winter too! Not my fault you folks didn't have the snow/ice making stuff in place!!!

I WANT HEAT!!!!
0 likes   

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

Re:

#33 Postby vbhoutex » Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:21 pm

Ntxw wrote:I assure you the North Texas branch of PWC is working diligently with HQ for winter of 2013-2014. Inside sources has mentioned seeing fresh crayons and babies ready to be shipped to scenic southwest Austin. Word is this new resource will be implemented for top of the line accuracy in-house model output maps. Lots of blue and purple, lots of snow depth colors, you want it you got it!

Until I realized where you were going with this post I was getting a little worried!! :eek: :lol: Sounds like we may have some of the newer and more accurate model output available. I'll be waiting eagerly for the first runs. :cheesy: Here's hoping they are :cold: :froze:
0 likes   
Skywarn, C.E.R.T.
Please click below to donate to STORM2K to help with the expenses of keeping the site going:

Portastorm
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#34 Postby Portastorm » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:10 pm

I normally don't pay too much attention to the CFSv2 forecasts for winter this far out but David Tolleris (wxrisk.com) on his Facebook page this afternoon showed a link to this:

http://origin.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/people/wwang/cfsv2fcst/imagesInd2/usT2mMonInd5.gif

I wouldn't mind that verifying, would you?! :wink:
0 likes   

SaskatchewanScreamer

#35 Postby SaskatchewanScreamer » Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:43 pm

0 likes   

Portastorm
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#36 Postby Portastorm » Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:15 pm

That's pretty funny Screamer ... I hadn't seen that. And the NWS Lubbock folks are pretty darn creative coming up with that kind of stuff. Well, *someone* is getting our Texas heat because we have not seen it this summer like we have the last few. Perhaps we need to check the angle of our giant heat fans (the ones which were broken the last few years!). :lol:
0 likes   

CaptinCrunch
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#37 Postby CaptinCrunch » Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:18 pm

It's currently 100 with a H.I. of 106, so lets talk winter.

I said going into Winter of 2012-2013 to not get to hopeful, but to look to Winter of 2013-2014 when we should see the return of El Nino and a wetter colder pattern taking shape across the lower 48.

July in Texas was pretty nice with much needed rainfall from the retro Low that took its time crossing the state. Also Looking at the Tropics they are starting to pickup as well. While the Sun has shown us it's BALD spot...lol, Winter on the other side of the globe has been record breaking. I can't wait till late September when we see our first (and very early) cold front come sweeping in from the Great North West.

:ggreen: :ggreen:
0 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#38 Postby Ntxw » Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:42 pm

It's August, and usually by now there's some kind of good sign of a signal that may occur in winter. I have not seen it. I posted possible analog years using neutral values and when they happened, nothing really sticks out. It's going to be a difficult forecast.

The western hemisphere as a whole has been rather cool this year but the decade trend is to forecast warmer. Watching these Pacific SST's is going to be critical this year I bet, especially in the North Pacific. It's going to dictate if the raging PAC Jet will dominate again like the previous few, but then again the north Pacific is very warm which says higher pressures there.
0 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

SaskatchewanScreamer

#39 Postby SaskatchewanScreamer » Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:17 am

:uarrow: they are up to no good!
(well at least for way up here :roll: )
0 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#40 Postby Ntxw » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:12 am

I understand what I'm posting below is for the fall but it does have implications for winter. It's basically mid-August and hints start showing up for what the pattern may look like down the road.

Personal choice of Analogs for fall and possibly winter:

Top weighted year: 2001-2002
Honorable mentions: 2008-2009, 1990-1991, 1961-1962

Personally I prefer using years that are post 2000. Since averages and decadal trends are different (2000s+ are constantly warmer than say 1970s) which is why 2001 right now satisfies me the most.

Reasoning: Often my favorite tool to use is looking at sea surface temperatures. They do change but albeit slowly so it gives us enough time to use them as a longer term forecasting tool. ENSO is important, which is why all of these years are neutral, slightly favoring cool. However that is not all that's used. I took PDO data and looked at reconstructed SST's from the past to compare them to the present. 2001 hit the money.

Fall 2001 looked liked this.

Composite of the analogs looks like this

Ok yeah so what makes these years so close? Just putting some maps doesn't make them credible :lol:. Well have no fear, along with the SST's mentioned above I took the liberty of matching the summers for those years with what we have so far.

Summer 2013 to date:

Summer of composite analogs:

As you see it's not perfect, but the overall idea is very well matched up. Heat in the mountain west and cool in the east so it gives some credibility this is how it may turn out.

Summary: Overall for the US I believe it's quite likely we'll see a pattern reversal from summer and see some warmth. The one area of the country that will likely see cool is the south and/or gulf coast and surrounding region. Why? tropics...I will get a little further depth of this down this post. While I continue to believe summer ends early for Texas I don't think winter will start early. The PDO has nose dived which most likely won't give us a wet pattern this fall or winter (barring tropics as mentioned below.)

Tropics Connection: With the exception of 1990 these analog years that I have chosen were very active seasons for tropical cyclones in the gulf coast region. Again with the exception of 1990 Texas was effected by a significant named system in all but one. Hurricane Carla, Tropical storm Allison, and Hurricane Ike. A very notorious bunch. This would explain the cool patch seen on the maps posted above in the south for the fall.
0 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

Return to “Winter Weather”