Texas Winter 2013-2014

Winter Weather Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
gboudx
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re:

#61 Postby gboudx » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:17 am

beachbum123 wrote:You guys have lost your minds!!!!
Texans can not handle cold/snow/ice! :roll:

Have none of you driven in Houston?
If someone were to spill a bag of ice on the freeway it would cause a 20 car pile up, we can not have snow and ice stormes!!!

Also, we do not have the propper attire for anything below 60 degrees!

Being a native Houstonion, I am naturally uncomfortable when the tempature drops below 65!

May our summer bleed into fall and may our winter feel like fall!

Hey Portastorm, it appears wxman57 created an alias. Is that legal per the TOS? Punishment should be changing his avatar to the Jack Frost character with title, "I like it cold!" :lol:

Btw, today is his bday. Happy Bday fellow Who Dat!

Congratulations to: chrisjslucia, wxman57 (56), Almo99 (39)
0 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

Re: Texas Winter 2013-2014

#62 Postby wxman57 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:24 am

It's not me. This quote should have told you that:

"Being a native Houstonion, I am naturally uncomfortable when the tempature drops below 65!"

First of all, temps below 80F are too cold. Second, I'm not a native Houst-onion (or any other type of onion).
0 likes   

gboudx
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#63 Postby gboudx » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:26 am

LOL! Alias could be a different online persona as well. But if I was going to be an onion, I think I'd choose a nice Vidalia.
0 likes   

Portastorm
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#64 Postby Portastorm » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:28 am

wxman57 wrote:It's not me. This quote should have told you that:

"Being a native Houstonion, I am naturally uncomfortable when the tempature drops below 65!"

First of all, temps below 80F are too cold. Second, I'm not a native Houst-onion (or any other type of onion).

Indeed, the Portastorm Weather Center is wishing wxman57 a very happy birthday! In his honor, we've turned the office temperature up to 85 degrees for the day.

And yes gboudx, it is a bit disturbing that wxman57 appears to have found another warm weather-loving compadre.
0 likes   
Any forecasts under my name are to be taken with a grain of salt. Get your best forecasts from the National Weather Service and National Hurricane Center.

I'm a certified Advanced SKYWARN-trained spotter and am active on Twitter at @TravisCOSW, a social media partner of the NWS Austin-San Antonio office.

Tireman4
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#65 Postby Tireman4 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:28 am

First, Happy Birthday Wxman57. I truly mean that. Second, you know what...I am a native Houstonian..or Houston native and or..well..me...I do want temperatures under 65 and surely under 80. I do think folks here can handle driving with ice. :) With all due respect Beachbum, there are some who do like winter. Thank you . :)
0 likes   

SaskatchewanScreamer

#66 Postby SaskatchewanScreamer » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:39 am

Happy happy happy birthday to my favorite Texas met! :D

Looks like you got a bonus gift Wxman57 ... Another Gilla Monster that will have your back whilst all here are praying for the winter storm of the century to come knocking on Houston's front door.
Last edited by SaskatchewanScreamer on Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

SaskatchewanScreamer

#67 Postby SaskatchewanScreamer » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:42 am

:lol: re Houstonians driving well on ice!

CBC covers your storms well up here!

Now those cold lovin Texans are going to flame me..... :double:
Last edited by SaskatchewanScreamer on Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

Comanche
Category 1
Category 1

Re:

#68 Postby Comanche » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:09 am

SaskatchewanScreamer wrote::lol: re Housonians driving well on ice!

CBC covers your storms well up here!

Now those cold lovin Texans are going to flame me..... :double:

It's not that we're cold loving Texans, it's more about the need for some weather adventure. It has been rather boring down here for awhile!
0 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#69 Postby Ntxw » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:23 am

Ah yes, happy birthday to the great Dark Lord of summer: wxman57 (As Tireman4 likes to say)!

How would you like a storm2k cold-mongering crew sponsored trip to the South Pacific this winter? We sure could use your famed powers to abruptly heat up those cold waters down there :cheesy:!!!

Tahiti perhaps?

And to Ms. Screamer, pffft you don't need ice for that! A few drops of rain should do it.

This has been posted before but worth looking at again, the great state of Texas ya'll!

0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

SaskatchewanScreamer

#70 Postby SaskatchewanScreamer » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:30 am

:lol: :uarrow:
0 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#71 Postby wxman57 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:55 am

Thanks for the birthday wishes, all. Would love to be in Tahiti. No birthday cake as I gave up chocolate in February of 2010, but I'm hopeful for some pecan pralines and iced gingercake from my cousin's Acadian Bakery in Lafayette:

http://acadianbakery.com/
0 likes   

brunota2003
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#72 Postby brunota2003 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:06 pm

It's y'all!!! And you claim to be Southerners?! :lol: :lol:

Happy Birthday, wxman57! Now where's them darned over the hill decorations at...........have a good day, y'all! :D
0 likes   
Just a small town southern boy helping other humans.

beachbum123
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

Re:

#73 Postby beachbum123 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:26 pm

gboudx wrote:LOL! Alias could be a different online persona as well. But if I was going to be an onion, I think I'd choose a nice Vidalia.

Lol.."Alias could be a different persona"

If I'm going to be an onion I think I'd have to go with a 1015, texas grown! Lol

Boy this dang phones auto correct sure can get me into some trouble! Turned me into a darn onion this time!

I agree it was exciting when we got a little snow on the ground a few years ago but I have no desire for it to stick and hang around!

I don't handle cold weather well!

Happy birthday wxman!
0 likes   

South Texas Storms
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#74 Postby South Texas Storms » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:08 pm

Happy birthday wxman! It's fitting that you were born in the hottest month of the year! I hope you enjoyed the warm temperatures today!
0 likes   

MGC
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#75 Postby MGC » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:42 pm

Happy Birthday 57. May God grace you with many more warm winter days!....MGC
0 likes   

gpsnowman
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#76 Postby gpsnowman » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:07 pm

I do not know about winter folklore (does it exist in Texas) but my backyard oak tree is producing the largest acorns I have seen in the five summers I have lived in Grand Prairie. These acorns are also dropping into the yard and the driveway much earlier than normal. October is the normal time frame for this. Stepping on one with a bare heel is not fun. The acorn won. I find this odd but wondering if this has any harbinger on winter in Texas. Sure hope it does! :cold: :flag:
0 likes   

Comanche
Category 1
Category 1

#77 Postby Comanche » Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:05 am

It was autumn, and members of a Native American tribe asked their new Chief if the coming winter was going to be cold or mild. Since he was a new Chief in a modern society and had never been taught the old secrets of Nature, he looked up at the sky and had no clue what to do. To play it safe, he replied to his tribe that the winter could definitely be cold and that they should collect firewood early, just to be prepared. So, the members began gathering wood.

Being a practical leader, he figured he should also use the resources available to the modern society. He went to the phone booth, called the National Weather Service and asked, "Will this winter be cold?"

"As of now, it looks like this winter is going to be quite cold," the forecaster said.

So the Chief went back to his tribe and told them to collect even more wood. A week later he called the National Weather Service again and asked for an update.

"Yes," the man at National Weather Service again replied, "based on incoming data, this winter is looking to be colder than we expected." The Chief was surprised, but again went back to his tribe, told them that this might be a very cold winter, and asked them to collect every scrap of wood they could find.

One week later, the Chief called the National Weather Service yet again, hoping for a new answer. "Are you absolutely sure that the winter is going to be very cold?"

"Positive," the man replied. "It's going to be one of the coldest winters ever."

"Really?" the shocked Chief exclaimed. "How can you be so sure?"

"First," the forecaster replied, "The Indians are collecting firewood like crazy." :lol: :lol:
0 likes   

South Texas Storms
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#78 Postby South Texas Storms » Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:02 pm

I really hope we can get an El-Nino like weather pattern this winter. We could really use a cooler and wetter than normal winter this year.
0 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#79 Postby Ntxw » Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:27 pm

I wonder when PWC in scenic southwest Austin is going to put out a winter forecast? I'm working on some stuff right now and hopefully put some thoughts out for DJF by the end of labor day weekend. Warning though, it's proven to be about as accurate as the groundhog :lol:
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

Portastorm
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

Re:

#80 Postby Portastorm » Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:48 pm

Ntxw wrote:I wonder when PWC in scenic southwest Austin is going to put out a winter forecast? I'm working on some stuff right now and hopefully put some thoughts out for DJF by the end of labor day weekend. Warning though, it's proven to be about as accurate as the groundhog :lol:

The Grey Goose-swilling meteorologists employed at the Portastorm Weather Center in scenic southwest Austin are still looking their wounds from an absolutely horrid winter forecast for the 2012-13 season. Take a look at the verification:

Month /Temp Predicted /Temp Actual / Precip Predicted / Precip Actual
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dec. / Much below /Much above /Above Normal /Below Normal
Jan. /Below Normal /Normal /Slightly above /Normal
Dec. /Normal /Above /Normal /Below

Last year we issued our forecast on 9/23/13. We may wait until 10/1/13 for the very latest but offer some thoughts prior to that point. Of course, it appears our North Texas office is already hard at work and we appreciate that! :wink:
0 likes   
Any forecasts under my name are to be taken with a grain of salt. Get your best forecasts from the National Weather Service and National Hurricane Center.

I'm a certified Advanced SKYWARN-trained spotter and am active on Twitter at @TravisCOSW, a social media partner of the NWS Austin-San Antonio office.

Return to “Winter Weather”