Texas Winter 2013-2014

Winter Weather Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
Portastorm
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

Re: Texas Winter 2013-2014

#141 Postby Portastorm » Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:23 am

Would you look at that ... Wxman57 enjoying the white stuff! Will wonders never cease in this amazing world of ours?! :D

Hey cctxhurricanewatcher ... I love that idea. The procurement officer at the PWC is currently online looking for good snow machines for purchase.

Meanwhile gang, it won't be long now before we're salivating over longer-term GFS and Euro model runs and talking about things like the 0-degree isotherm, PNA/NAO/AO/QBO indices, Greenland blocks, and the latest Joe Bastardi tweets. :cheesy:
0 likes   
Any forecasts under my name are to be taken with a grain of salt. Get your best forecasts from the National Weather Service and National Hurricane Center.

I'm a certified Advanced SKYWARN-trained spotter and am active on Twitter at @TravisCOSW, a social media partner of the NWS Austin-San Antonio office.

gpsnowman
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#142 Postby gpsnowman » Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:22 am

I am salivating already. JB needs two Twitter accounts. One for his political quips and one strictly for weather!
0 likes   

cctxhurricanewatcher
Category 5
Category 5

#143 Postby cctxhurricanewatcher » Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:41 am

Portastorm wrote:Would you look at that ... Wxman57 enjoying the white stuff! Will wonders never cease in this amazing world of ours?! :D

Hey cctxhurricanewatcher ... I love that idea. The procurement officer at the PWC is currently online looking for good snow machines for purchase.

Meanwhile gang, it won't be long now before we're salivating over longer-term GFS and Euro model runs and talking about things like the 0-degree isotherm, PNA/NAO/AO/QBO indices, Greenland blocks, and the latest Joe Bastardi tweets. :cheesy:

Much rather talk about those model runs that show 1899, 1983 or 1989 historic cold than the ones that show a Cat 5 monster targeting the Corpus Christi or Houston ship channels. I just want the cold to stop on or around March 1 which is the start of my boys baseball season. Nothing is more miserable than spending a cold evening watching baseball. Bring it on! :froze:
0 likes   

Rgv20
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#144 Postby Rgv20 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:40 pm

Portastorm wrote:Would you look at that ... Wxman57 enjoying the white stuff! Will wonders never cease in this amazing world of ours?! :D

How about this ones? :cold: This forecast maps were back in 2011 when Texas got a full fledged Arctic invasion in February! :D

0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#145 Postby wxman57 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:02 pm

No, thanks. I prefer THIS map, which is the current GFS projection of 500mb flow for October 12th. Big old ridge over Texas and no cold air in sight.

0 likes   

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#146 Postby vbhoutex » Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:07 pm

wxman57 wrote:No, thanks. I prefer THIS map, which is the current GFS projection of 500mb flow for October 12th. Big old ridge over Texas and no cold air in sight.

http://mag.ncep.noaa.gov/data/gfs/12/gf ... ort_ht.gif

Party pooper!! :P :P
0 likes   
Skywarn, C.E.R.T.
Please click below to donate to STORM2K to help with the expenses of keeping the site going:

Kalrany
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#147 Postby Kalrany » Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:14 pm

wxman57 wrote:No, thanks. I prefer THIS map, which is the current GFS projection of 500mb flow for October 12th. Big old ridge over Texas and no cold air in sight..
...[image removed]....

:( Too hot. Just too hot...
0 likes   
TOTAL NOVICE. The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.
Lansing MI, Galveston TX, Madison WI, Houston TX, Newark DE

Tireman4
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#148 Postby Tireman4 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:53 pm

wxman57 wrote:No, thanks. I prefer THIS map, which is the current GFS projection of 500mb flow for October 12th. Big old ridge over Texas and no cold air in sight.

I call foul. Flag on the play. That map is penalized 15 yards for Unsportsmanlike Conduct.
0 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#149 Postby Ntxw » Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:09 am

PSHHH can't let wxman57 have his way, if he's going to get his ridging we're going to stick a cutoff cold core low in it! This map is better, cool and damp bike rides.

0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

Ptarmigan
Category 5
Category 5

#150 Postby Ptarmigan » Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:26 pm

http://mag.ncep.noaa.gov/data/gfs/12/gf ... ort_ht.gif

I don't like that one bit. That means no rain and we do not need a drought. :grr: :eek:
0 likes   

natlib
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#151 Postby natlib » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:26 pm

Forecast lows in San Angelo this Sunday morning are expected to drop in the 40's!!!!!!!!!! Fall is here my friends and winter is on the way!!!!!!!!!
0 likes   

Portastorm
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#152 Postby Portastorm » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:40 am

natlib wrote:Forecast lows in San Angelo this Sunday morning are expected to drop in the 40's!!!!!!!!!! Fall is here my friends and winter is on the way!!!!!!!!!

Post of the day! Er, Post of the Week! :D
0 likes   
Any forecasts under my name are to be taken with a grain of salt. Get your best forecasts from the National Weather Service and National Hurricane Center.

I'm a certified Advanced SKYWARN-trained spotter and am active on Twitter at @TravisCOSW, a social media partner of the NWS Austin-San Antonio office.

SaskatchewanScreamer

#153 Postby SaskatchewanScreamer » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:25 pm

hmmmm I would think since you fellows are getting that :uarrow: cold this early in the season it would be the post of the year!

(bet it has some folks down there worried though). :wink:
0 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#154 Postby Ntxw » Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:50 am

Thought I'd put some quick updates from around the globe.

Current snow cover across the northern hemisphere is remarkably high, especially in Siberia for this time of year. Highest I believe in almost a decade. Sea ice this year has coped well given the dramatic downturns we have seen for 5+ years. It has been one of the colder melt seasons since 2009, and really we haven't seen that kind of persistent cold throughout the summer up there since 2006.

Image Image

The increased snow cover only helps build strong Siberian highs. With good cross polar flow patterns it only helps. The key this month is to continue this growth of snow right through the mid latitudes. October is such a critical month to foresee what may arise DJF.

Is this a harbinger of things to come?
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

Re:

#155 Postby vbhoutex » Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:22 pm

Ntxw wrote:Thought I'd put some quick updates from around the globe.

Current snow cover across the northern hemisphere is remarkably high, especially in Siberia for this time of year. Highest I believe in almost a decade. Sea ice this year has coped well given the dramatic downturns we have seen for 5+ years. It has been one of the colder melt seasons since 2009, and really we haven't seen that kind of persistent cold throughout the summer up there since 2006.

http://i43.tinypic.com/x5cj2c.gif[/img] [img]http://i42.tinypic.com/2djc3dv.gif

The increased snow cover only helps build strong Siberian highs. With good cross polar flow patterns it only helps. The key this month is to continue this growth of snow right through the mid latitudes. October is such a critical month to foresee what may arise DJF.

Is this a harbinger of things to come?

We can always hope!! :cold: :froze:
0 likes   
Skywarn, C.E.R.T.
Please click below to donate to STORM2K to help with the expenses of keeping the site going:

ravyrn
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Re:

#156 Postby ravyrn » Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:07 pm

vbhoutex wrote:We can always hope!! :cold: :froze:

No need for hope! 57's reign will soon end. Screamer has already taken the initiative to aim her fans at his defenses and blow her cold Canadian air our way! The PWC will have limitless resources this winter. The photo below was taken outside of the PWC and the line of trucks winded down the road as far as the eye could see. I've heard reports that the line of Grey Goose trucks stretched so far that I-35 was at a stand still from Austin to their storage facility in Arlington. Austin traffic was so backed up it would seem as if it were rush hour on a Friday with 5 ft of snow on the ground during a mandatory evacuation of the coast due to a tropical disturbance threat.

0 likes   

Comanche
Category 1
Category 1

#157 Postby Comanche » Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:17 pm

A future shot of WXMAN out in Houston...

0 likes   

angelwing
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#158 Postby angelwing » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:57 am

Comanche wrote:A future shot of WXMAN out in Houston...

http://i.mol.im/i/pix/2012/12_04/SNOWPIC_308x385.jpg

0 likes   

Texas Snowman
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#159 Postby Texas Snowman » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:48 pm

Accuweather has posted their winter forecast. Showing a chance for decent amounts of snow and ice in portions of the Southern Great Plains.

Since I live five miles from the Red River in Grayson County, I like the potential of this graphic!

Last edited by Texas Snowman on Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Texas Snowman is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Texas Snowman
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#160 Postby Texas Snowman » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:49 pm

Here's the link to the associated story detailing AW's winter forecast.

http://m.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/us-winter-2013-2014-snow/18574742
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Texas Snowman is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Return to “Winter Weather”